Synth consolidation

Hi, I’m an owner of a Prophet 10 and Udo Super 6. In an effort to simplify my setup, I’m considering selling both and picking up the Gemini. Any thoughts? The P10 has a very nostalgic tone and is cemented in the mind of the listener. That’s a good and bad thing. I do notice a depth to the sound missing on the Super 6 compared to the P10. I’m curious if I’d be losing something by making this move. I end up using the Super 6 more often because it’s more immediate and the interface works for me.

Wouldn’t a Prophet 10 almost cover the cost of a Gemini? And save up for a desktop version of Prophet 10.

Depending on the condition of your Prophet 10 and Super 6, you could sell both then purchase the Gemini and maybe have a little cash left over.

As an owner of the Super Gemini, after purchasing it I can confidently say it erased any additional gear searching for analog synths on my end. Previously I had the Roland Fantom 6, Juno DS, considered a Prophet XL as well as a Prophet Rev 2 16 voice or Arturia Polybrute 12.

At this point someone will have to make a truly monster analog synth for me to consider buying another one. With the Super Gemini I feel like I have a modern CS-80, Jupiter 8 and everything in between in one synth. And with 20-voice polyphony? Super Gemini is unmatched right now. It is in my opinion one of the best purchases I could have made in my studio as a guitarist and songwriter. Workflow has improved 1000% since purchasing.

Best of luck on your search!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, the Prophet 10 has a weight and depth that the Super 6 doesn’t quite reach. However, I usually reach for the Super 6 first. It might be the interface. I’m looking more at the Super 8 now. I like the ribbon on the SG, but not a fan of orange! Also, I have a monster eurorack setup with a full Buchla system. Not sure, two polys are even necessary. Such a first world problem!

To me the Super 6 remains their best instrument.
I considered the 8 and the Gemini. But I remain with my Super 6.
Their first and still their best instrument.

I have not played a Prophet 10 yet, but I do know. When I compare my Super 6 with my analog synthesizers. It is a different feel. Take your time and feel what’s right.

I only wished it had a little more memory. (that was the main reason I considered the Gemini, and the extra voice count)

Regarding the future of UDO:
It would be interesting if they could build an FM synthesizer with these FPGA’s…

I really like playing around with the Cross modulation and the high FM modulations to get interesting musical tones. This is truly unique with the Super 6. Lovely how it sounds when you dial it right…
Imagine a synthesizer which is more focused on this. But it would keep this crystaline refresh rate and sampling rate. Like not a pure FM synthesizer, but kind of blended. Like the FM oscillators on the System-8 but keep the classic subtractive flow. They could maybe include this already on the Super 6 if they have enough power left? Like holding shift and switching the DDS 1 oscillator would turn it into a FM-like oscillator. And when holding shift and doing “detune” it would do the configuration like you have on the System-8. Would be really interesting…

Or give it a shot and build an analog polyphonic synthesizer. (one idea I had was an analog poly which has the same supersaw oscillator like the DDS1 from the Super 6. But with a VCO and 6 sister DCO’s following that mother DCO.)

I really like UDO audio, and I really want to see them expand with more interesting instruments.

Totally, I spent some time today mimicking the Prophet 10. It’s about 95% there, but there is something missing. It’s hard to describe. If I coukd start over, I’d grab the Super 8 and the P10 desktop. To do that now means I lose $1700 usd to sell the stuff I own and start over. The P10 keyboard is so good. My S6 is worth $2200 and my P10 probably $3600. I don’t have room for two big keyboards. The new combo is 7-7.5k. Hard to say if that’s worth it. The S8 has a sound I like compared to the S6.