Super 6 vs Prophet 6

Battle of the sixes!

I have the Super 6 and there’s no way I’m getting rid of it but what I want to know if there are any Super 6 owners that also own a Prophet 6 and whether it is worth having both at the same time?

Is there a lot of overlap? How would you compare the sound of the P6 against the S6? Any other thoughts?

Bear in mind I am not a talented sound designer. I’m sure you could get them both sounding almost exactly the same with tweaking, but I am interested in how the P6 sounds naturally.

1 Like

I do have a Prophet 10 and they are 2 different beasts. P10 have the vintage flavor, but I’d say that UDO is the best modern synth I’ve ever owned. It has the sound, and it is versatile, rather than the Prophet, which is great for making classical timbres (it also have the microtuning thing which is great for me).
I would not get a P6, because it’s closer to the super 6. A friend has it and (to me) the UDO has more character and goes further with sound design.
Said that, if you want the vintage timbre go for the P5, or better the 10. If you’re looking for more sound design possibilities, both the 6, or the 5/10, would be redundant.

3 Likes

I would not get a P6, because it’s closer to the super 6. A friend has it and (to me) the UDO has more character and goes further with sound design.

I agree with this, I’ve had a P6 for years and never considered selling it until I got the S6. Strongly considering getting a P5 or a Pro 3.

3 Likes

I have the Super 6 and a Pro 3 and can confirm these are a nice combo. I made a brass swell type sound on the Super 6 and a Brassy “blown” lead on the Pro 3 and they sound fantastic together in my newest EP that I’m working on :slight_smile:

The Pro 3 and Super 6 are both deep enough for endless sound design. Having the Pro 3 lets the Super 6 be free to do it’s beautiful binaural stuff while the Pro 3 can get filthy on leads and bass.

1 Like

I steered away from the Prophet idea since the Super 6 continues to blow me away.

I can definitely see a Pro 3 + S6 would be a better combo but I don’t usually go for filthy/nastiness… for me the Super 6 with a chord and a bass note together is the most heavenly sound on any synthesizer. It is the perfect harmony, not over powering in any way just totally natural and blissful and floaty and refreshing. It is a true zen poly synth.

2 Likes

I have the Super 6, Prophet~6, and the OB-6. The main thing I like about the Sequential synths is the 3 digit screen just for basic parameters and lessoning remembering commands. Once the Super 6 has the LED notification for original perimeters, that will be a step in the right direction. For me, I have the OB-6 as my most used synth daily, with the Super 6 second, and the Prophet~6 third.

I think they all sound great, just prefer the 12DB multi filter. The Super 6 and Prophet~6 both have 24DB low-pass filters, albeit different sounding. If I could only keep one, it would be either the OB-6 or Super 6, but really, if I only had the Prophet~6, I would be fine with using it all the time. They are all in an elite category.

3 Likes

Is this planned? Is there somewhere I can read about how it will be implemented?

1 Like

I own both and I will never not own both. Gear comes and goes, especially mono synths, fx, modular and groove boxes… but S6 and P6 go to the grave with me. That’s that.

3 Likes