Fine-tune option for DDS2 Tune knob

At +/-6, the Tune knob can make fully aligning DDS1 and DDS2 a bit difficult. Might be nice to have a “fine tune” option that ranges from +/-1 across the full sweep, perhaps when holding the shift key.

8 Likes

+1 for this. Shift plus Tune would be an easy method.

1 Like

I think thi is more about the DAC resolution of the reading of the pot itself than the range of it.
Many synth have this range and is very easy so get any beating you want between two Osc.
The problem to me is the steps on the pot are too big so is near impossible to adjust.
This is to me the biggest issue on the S6.
Same problem happen with the cutoff fader. You can listen very clear the steps when it is selfoscillating.

Anyway Shift plus Tune can be a solution for the tune problem

+1 for this!!!

I’m glad I’m not the only one with this issue, I often have trouble fine tuning DDS2 as the pot resolution just seems too low so the steps are too large.

Shift + Tune + a visual indicator e.g. via the patch button LEDs so that you know when you’re back at true zero, would be great. I know I could use my ears or a tuner, but I like on other synths like the NL4 where you always get a little indicator when you’re back to concert pitch.

2 Likes

Fine tune for DDS2 has been my single biggest wish since day 1. Maybe because it’s so heavily influenced by the Jupiter 6 I just expected that would be how tune would work on the Soup.
Still hoping for a Shift-Tune option in future that will allow for subtle detunes and easy getting back into tune if you happen to touch the Tune knob unshifted by mistake. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Hello! Brand new user, day 2. Generally very happy so far but came to the forum to research this exact issue.

Agree that shift+tune would get the job done, so just putting in my +1 here. :v:

2 Likes

It’s one of those features I’d have expected everyone to be crying out for. I’ve got maybe one degree of travel on my knob with which to cover actually getting back in tune, plus all the subtle detunes you take for granted on other synths.

Hi all,

If you enable hi-res mode in the global settings (SHIFT > TX/RX E > patch button 3 solidly lit), this will increase the resolution of all faders and rotary controls from 128 to 16384 steps. In this mode, it’s much easier to fine tune DDS 2 in relation to DDS 1.

1 Like

Very cool. I will have to try this out

I tried that but it doesn’t widen the area of knob movement available for detune, which is the issue. To clarify: it’s the current mapping of the range to the knob that’s the problem, not the underlying resolution. George knows about it and has some ideas for a solution,I believe.

What you might do would be either increase the area around zero so there’s some actual knob movememt to play with (using some non-linear scaling of values maybe) or have a shift and tune option that offers much finer tuning from the current value over the knob’s full range of movement. I could beg or grovel or something, I’m not proud…

BTW wouldn’t it be great if, when you increase the resolution, the lag processing on each control (and mod matrix entry) is removed entirely?

4 Likes

Hi, just coming back to this. We have been working on something new but very closely super 6 related and this allows us to build in feedback like this at the same time. Since this thread was initially started, high res controls (nrpn) were implemented and the smoothing lag was made much more rapid and released in updates.

For fine tune, I have tried an approach that warps the tune pot scale near zero and fifth, combined with using the encoder as a fine adjust/nudge for the last edited parameter.

The workflow is “move the fader/control, then move the encoder if fine adjust needed”. It then of course works for any parameter, not just fine tune, to give high granularity. I quite like it because it gives every control a fine adjust without any button combinations, which is nice for audio rate modulating parameters like crossmod for example.

5 Likes

Looking forward to trying it out - cheers!

1 Like

Agreed, sounds like a flexible workflow. Can’t wait to give it a try, thanks!

Yes I’m looking forward to get this rolled in. These things just take me time. I appreciate your patience. Learning how people use the instrument is tremendously valuable so thank you

1 Like

This sounds great, especially for crossmod which has been finicky to use and less reached for as a result. Looking forward!

Do you mean encoder = rotary control (MOD AMOUNT)?

Yes that is what we’re trialling at the moment

2 Likes

yes, that would be great, really - cheers!