HOLD behavior

Currently, when HOLD is engaged, every new note played on the keyboard will be added to the chord being held. In this mode, there’s no way to replace a chord with a new one.

I hope that this can be changed to the following:

• Notes played while other notes are being held on the keyboard will be added to the existing chord.
  • Notes played after all fingers have been lifted from the keyboard will form a new chord.
5 Likes

I would like to be able to use it like this as well, however I’m very fond of the way it works right now for many reasons, so I wouldn’t want it to change from what it currently is.
If what you propose could be added in a sensible logical way it’d be cool. Currently I get this result by using a sustain pedal like on a piano in combination with the hold button.
I think I saw someone suggesting maybe letting you add notes if you keep the hold button held down, and otherwise it replaces.

Anyway, one big argument for why the current way is really great is that it does allow you to play the same note more than once.
For instance, you can set up a C chord with doubled CCEEGG making it a unison of 2 voices per note.
Also you can set up quite cool arpeggios with a doubled root by double tapping a key.

2 Likes

I see your point. The standard method still permits adding duplicate notes to a chord, as long as you keep holding one of the keys.

I like the idea of holding the Hold button to get the current behavior.

1 Like

This request is currently under review.

5 Likes

It would be ideal if a long press on the hold button would allow the addition of notes to whatever has been entered up to that point. A long press that would not change hold to the off status. So I could engage hold, play a chord with both hands, long press hold to add notes without disengaging hold, let it run to consider what I’ve got going, long press hold again to add even more notes, all without interrupting the flow.

Another hold behavior question, I’ve noticed that on all of the demos that feature the arp types using hold, the reviewer supposedly runs through the arp types but the arp type does not seem to be changing. I think that means that the arp type only changes for subsequently entered notes? Am I crazy? The reviews run through this aspect so quickly it’s hard to tell for sure. It would be nice to be able to change the arp type for an existing hold so you could move through arp types as a performance aspect.

I’m happy to hear that the current hold behavior is being looked at for improvement / alternate modes.

I have reported it as a bug before and find the current behavior very annoying. I don’t seem to be skilled enough with a sustain pedal to mimic “normal” arp hold behavior like you would come to expect from other synths. And I rely on arps a lot since I’m pretty bad at playing keys :slight_smile:

@Aelycarter I have reported that as a bug as well, the arp not changing mode while it’s still arpeggiating active notes. I can’t think of a reason why this would be considered a feature instead.

1 Like

Another Hold function (bug?) I’ve discovered:

The Hold function only seems to work for a maximum number of notes (approx. 125). If you’re playing 6 note chords, you can only play a maximum of approximately 20 consecutive chords before your final chord produces silence… Is this normal MIDI behaviour (being aware that MIDI values go to 127, maybe that accounts for the maximum number of notes)?

Yes it’ s not musical, and when the arp is actived it’s not very good for electronic music.

any updates on this request? how does everyone feel about this current implementation of the hold? I’m on the fence myself, as I find it useful in some cases, but I’m a first-time synth owner so I haven’t experienced “normal” behavior.

Hi guys, coming in the imminent new update we have two new hold implementations that I hope you will find much more musical. In normal playing, the envelopes now retrigger, giving natural feel to playing with sustain depressed. In arp mode, the sustain pedal has an intelligent release function that adjusts the notes while you have at least one note held, then latches the last pattern when you release all notes simultaneously. When you press a new chord, the latched notes are free’d and the instrument plays the new pattern. Hard to explain but it plays very nice! George

3 Likes