Hold button

I was wondering if anyone knew how to automate the Hold button to reset (off/on) as you play. An example of this is show at the start of the Loopop video on YouTube here:

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

He uses a sustain pedal to control it with his feet, so it’s not automated.

You could technically speaking plug something else in there that automates it from modular or something else probably.

4 Likes

Ahhh brilliant! Thank you.

Am I the only one who can’t stand this Hold button? I would much rather it begin a new pattern when notes are played after all fingers have been lifted from the keyboard. Instead, it just adds notes to the arpeggiator. If you’re not using the sustain pedal, you need to hit the Hold button to turn it off, so it’s not easy at all to perform quick arpeggio changes with it (it’s even kinda burdensome with the pedal too)

6 Likes

Agreed. I’d love to be able to at least change it to behave as you say via a global setting edit or a shift function, etc. In terms of playing music live, which this Synth really calls to for me, you need the Hold to switch every time you press a new set of keys.

2 Likes

Agreed. If its possible to add SHIFT + ON when using the arp, I would think that would be an easy way to support both behaviors

• HOLD (current behavior) = notes get added to end of pattern, but pattern doesn’t change
  • SHIFT + ON = arp pattern is held, but changes when you play new notes (same result as if you only used ON button and held keys down for different patterns).

My request would actually be to use SHIFT + HOLD to support this, but to do so would require slight changes to existing Shift + Hold function because its currently used for LOAD sequences.

Right now when you do Shift + Hold it asks you to load a sequence in any arp mode, which doesn’t make sense to me (it doesn’t use the sequence when in arp mode). IMO you should have to navigate to SEQ (after up, down, u/d, random) before you can LOAD a sequence.

This would then free up SHIFT + HOLD for the requested “changing arps when notes are held” (in any Up, Down, Up/Down, Random modes), and also support LOAD of sequences when in SEQ mode. To me this seems the most logical and intuitive.

4 Likes

To me it would make sense to change the behavior of hold while arp is playing to something like this;

1. if no keys are held, playing new key combination sets the arp to the new notes while retaining same timing (no clock reset)

2. if at least one key is kept pressed from previous chord, playing new notes adds to the existing chord/arp

3. if no keys are held, press and hold down HOLD button OR foot on sustain pedal to enable notes to be added to playing arpeggio.

4 Likes

I hate to be tough on the Super 6 because I absolutely adore it but I find the Arpeggiator to be unusable. Maybe I’m not good enough of a player, maybe I’m spoiled with the Moog Matriarch?

If you’re playing arpeggios and you’re not using the Hold function, you’re just unable to move quickly enough to a new arpeggio phrasing to not drop notes if the tempo is high enough.

The Hold function without the sustain pedal, as it currently functions, just seems not useful at all. For most arpeggios I play, I can hit all the keys using one or both hands. There just aren’t a ton of circumstances where I want to add notes to an arpeggio once it’s already going. And if I ever want to change an arpeggio (which, you know, is pretty frequent!) the Hold button needs to be unclicked, which absolutely does not work with live performance.

The Hold function with the sustain pedal is better but still frustrating to the point of being unusable. Even with a medium paced tempo, there is a very small window of time between releasing the sustain pedal and pressing the new arpeggio for the new pattern to apply seamlessly. Often, when performing this maneuver, when I press the keys down to play the second arpeggio, it actually plays a chord rather than start an arpeggio (even though the arpeggiator is on). It’s just really burdensome and difficult to time it correctly.

To my mind, the Moog Matriarch’s arpeggiator should be standard. The Matriarch also has a Hold function, but once all the keys are released, if you press a new set of keys, it begins a new arpeggio based on those new keys. If set to ORD, it will even play the new arpeggio in the order in which the keys are pressed. It’s really seamless.

As it stands, I just don’t think the arpeggiator is currently functional beyond playing a single arpeggio, which isn’t very useful to me. And I doubt I’m an edge case here. I haven’t dug into MIDI with the Super 6 yet, but this is really my only issue with the keyboard. Otherwise it’s really a masterpiece, at least to me.

I suppose one solution might be to use another keyboard with a better arpeggiator to control the Super 6 via MIDI but frankly that doesn’t seem worthy of a synth priced above $2,500.

Sorry to yammer on about this but I really hope a solution is in the works.

2 Likes

I both agree and disagree with you.
The behaviour certainly is really odd, making a lot of typical arpeggio playing really wonky.

What I really like about it though is that it does allow you to use it as a quick on the fly sequencer.
What you couldn’t do if it worked like a normal hold is playing the same note twice in a row. For instance something like C3+C3+G3+C3+C4
That is really cool and I really love that I can quickly tap those sequences in.
Some clever way of being able to use both ways of holding would’ve been awesome to me…

Holding hold until it starts blinking to get normal behaviour? Global setting?

3 Likes

In the traditional behavior, adding repeated notes is still possible as long as you hold at least one note of the previous chord. The only impossible variant is starting with a repeated single note, for which holding the hold button could be a solution.

Yeah, but the “problem” is that often that is the case. Doubling the initial note.

Also adding myself to the list of frustrated users regarding the additive nature of the arp hold function.

As a hopeless arp addict this is very painful…

I’m not certain the current mode is something I would use (seems like more of a volatile sequencer mode to me) - I would personally prefer this mode to be the shift-mode rather and have normal (replacing) arp behaviour as the default mode as per the suggestions above.

1 Like

August 2023 and it seems to be working out of the standard behavior.
I’ve used Moog, Sequential, Korg, Roland… and all of them has the standard hold behavior but this Super 6 beast is still breaking the performance flow.

+1 That’s a great idea to update a running arpeggio.

1 Like