I would like to pay for a virtual class and/or group lesson

Greetings!

I am a hobbyist, not a professional musician / sound designer.

I would like to more quickly “get into” our recently purchased UDO Super 6 as I have a full time job (and a half).

I would like to pay an expert user for either one-on-one tutoring (or perhaps if there is interest from other users at my “skill / knowledge” level, a group lesson) via video conference.

I have some experience with FM synthesis, understand the basics of LFOs for automating parameter changes and also envelopes (ADSR). But I have never used a synthesizer like this and certainly not the classic analog synthesizers that are mentioned in reviews of same, etc.

Thank you for anyone who might be able to either point me in the right direction (e.g., an online school or Patreon-like “creator” who provides lessons).

Thanks again!

1 Like

I put together a playlist of synthesis tutorials collected across Youtube. I would start here for basics of subtractive synthesis (expand the menu top-right 1/51 for more videos).

I also did a walkthrough of the Super 6 in my review on my YT channel, where I go through each of the functions at a high level. Perhaps it will provide add’l insight for you.

What types of things are you looking to learn?

3 Likes

Thank you! I will work my way thru the playlist.

I am looking for someone to guide me through the process of creating various “categories” of sounds using the distinct features of this synth.

Say, recreating four of the presets from scratch.

Thanks again!
Jose

You also have the Marc Doty playlist with 23 vidéos explanations about Super 6

https://m.youtube.com/c/automaticgainsay/videos

4 Likes

I used some basic lessons from Syntorial two years ago to learn synthesis. These things are easily applied to the Super 6. Along with the resources provided here, you’ll be up and running; designing your own sounds in no time!

1 Like

This is in the playlist already linked above, but I wanted to specifically point to this video and say I learned more from this in one night than I did in a year and a half of trying to teach myself. He also uses a lot of classic synthesizers, so no screens or anything on these synths like the Super6.

If you want to read and get some very detailed explanations of how to make some common sounds, this series is excellent, if a bit long-winded:

https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

2 Likes

Hi Jose, I am happy to help you on the Super6. It is an analogue synth of 12 vioces. Each voice has 2 oscillators. I don’t know if you read the User Manual, but it is well written and if anything is a bit too detailed. In other words, the UM is just right for you, because it explains things more fully than anyone who already understands synthesisers would want.

Your main dificulty with the Super6, compared to nearly all other synths is the lack of any LCD or OLED screen. Therefor you have to programme it by ear, and you cannot de-construct pre-set sounds. This is a big disadvantage in some ways, though the sounds are so much better than many other synths, which makes the Super6 one of the finest synths on the market.

Please use my email, if you find this posting helpful. I am fairly confident I do understand my Super6 pretty wel, and can explain things too.

Just scoping an idea out, we do “how to” videos already with Hazel looking at various features of the super 6. If I did an online workshop/seminar session (have to research tech!) with q and a session after, would people be interested? We want to look after everyone who owns our instruments over the longer term and to help us do so I might charge a small fee for it. What do you guys think of the idea and any suggestions what you’d like to see?

13 Likes

yes, very much. while other owners may find the following topic too basic, i would especially like a class or classes that show how to design a wide variety of sounds, step by step. there’s a dearth of such classes online. also, different people design sounds differently and i find those differences to be inspiring.

edit: also, the chord memory video was very useful, thank you.

OMG I had no idea UDO was doing tutorial vids for the super6. A chord memory video sounds perfect, I just teed it up for later. I’ve gotten chord memory to work about twice on my own, a monkey-see-monkey-do video is just what I need for that.

1 Like

SOS « synths secrets » series is awesome. This was where I learnt my synth 20 years ago, back in the days I remember printing all articles religiously and making a binder worth of it. Today this binder still holds firm on my studio shelves as a casual reference whenever the synthestist’s question mark pops up. Excellent reference

6 Likes

It is a truly great ref. Can’t seem to find a version with hi res images any more though. Allen Strange’s text is another must, although more modular focused it teaches you everything you need to know.

I’ve got my Super 6 1.5 years ago and it has been in my main spot constantly so it has stood the test of time. Lots of polysynths have came and went since. Always looking for S6 content.

4 Likes

Yes please do this. I would join.

This still happening?