Maximum operating temperature Super 6

As some of us have to deal with high temperatures in the summer, my question is: What is actually the maximum operating temperature for the Super 6?

1 Like

Interesting question.My Microfreak died today, not sure if temp-related yet though.

I can confidently say mine ran without issues and it was about 95-100 freedom units. That’s about 35-38 degrees celsius. At that point, the issue more becomes that I can only turn on my synths for a few minutes before my room becomes an oven and I don’t want to stay in here anymore. There’s a few weeks every year where I just unplug my Moog One because I know that isn’t going to happen, though even that hasn’t given me an issue at these temperatures.

EDIT: Also, my synths are not in direct sunlight, that could have more of an impact depending on if you’re gigging out or set up near a window or something.

2 Likes

…so I guess no official statement from the UDO Audio creators then :slight_smile:
…would be nice to know though, not to endanger our beloved Soup…

I’ll try it again @udo-audio :wink:
How high may the maximum room/operating temperature be? 40 degrees Celsius?
40 is with which Clavia Nord, for example, tests its devices.

It is not specified in the manual, which is a not ok in my point of view. 10 °C …40 °C ambient temperature should be a kind of a standard for such kind of products under normal conditions (no direct sun on the housing of the synth). In case of higher ambient temperature, use a fan to increase the air speed around the synth (normal air convection is less than 0.3m/s, thus increase air convection on the housing to minimum 2m/s and the housing temperature will decrease).
The synth will not die if the ambient air temperature is higher than 40 °C, but the stress on the PCB material and components is increased exponentially, thus life time is reduced. It also could happen, that microcontroller or voltage supply internal temperature sensors could deactivate the synth (but I do not know if this is part of Super 6 design).

1 Like

(This is where someone mods their Super 6 with water coolers and somehow overclocks the FPGAs unlocking a new form of synthesis.)

1 Like

([I know it’s a joke, but FPGA’s can’t really be overclocked in the sense traditional CPU’s can - any timing errors on an FPGA is critical for the operation and the whole architecture will go into disarray driven with unexpected clock - my guess is that the whole software would refuse to boot. The chip would need a complete overhaul and external components such as the DAC / boot processor / memory / power management and plethora of other things such as heat dissipation would have to be figured out for the new processor, which it would be at that point.])