Permanent beta?

I’m a new user. I received the Super 6 Desktop last Wednesday, and I’m starting to be discouraged by what I see when it comes to bugs and how they aren’t addressed (not even as announcement that they’re being worked on). As it stands right now, I’m probably going to return the synth before my 30 day trial period is up.

For example, there’s problems (acknowledged by the developers) with modulating the VCA gain, and this hasn’t been fixed in over half a year. Furthermore, the expected MPE behavior, as stated in the manual, does not work, again something that hasn’t been addressed in over half a year. (I know that it might be a bit more complicated, with the manual simply stating future behavior that hasn’t been implemented yet, but if something is in the manual and it doesn’t work, I’m going to count it as a bug. You can’t expect the end user to browse online forums to find out via second hand information what in the manual just are wishes rather than actual implemented behavior.)

On a side note, I really think that patches need to change instantly. Granted, this is not a bug, just something that I would expect to be the case for a synth to work in my setup.

Since the firmware isn’t open sourced, there’s nothing I can do about this rather than wait, and since I don’t see any strong, comforting statements by the developer team anywhere (remember, I’m a new buyer so I don’t know the history), I don’t feel confident that they ever will be fixed. Again, the team might be the greatest, most competent guys ever who works on these things constantly, but to me, they’re more like Schrödinger’s developers.

In my opinion, it doesn’t look very good/professional, and I share OP’s concerns. At the same time, I would love for my concerns to be unfounded and for the synth to turn into the absolute dream synth that it has the potential to be :heart:

4 Likes

Best to email support if you have questions.

If the synth doesn’t work like you need it to return it.

Hi all,

Developing the Super 6 and helping our customers is my full time occupation. If I do not respond directly here, it is not because I am not busy behind the scenes.

The nature of such a complex instrument is that there are very many use cases. We want the instrument to perform for everyone, in all cases, and this takes experience and feedback from the community of skilled users like yourselves.

Just copying our internal meeting minutes from time ago showing what I am currently working on for 0,9 for reference. The release number is simply a number.

Firmware v0.90 Agenda and subsequent minutes.

Main Objectives

• What bug fixes should be implemented?
  • What features should be implemented?

Bug Fixes and Solutions for Pain Points

LFO 1

• Fix LFO 1 destination buttons bug (Desktop Only)

Fix LFO 1 HF/HF TRK level balance. DDS 1 is significantly louder.

Arp/Sequencer

• Enable additional subtle swing settings
  • Arp sequencer MIDI note out global setting should be non-volatile
  • Improve velocity response (widen range, esp. at the lower end: when a key is pressed as softly as possible, the output level should be next to nothing; currently it seems as if it’s still at 25%)
  • Allow for full mod impact on VCA LEVEL Task Mike with adding to UbugTrack fleshing out some functionality examples for this and present findings. Examples of use cases - using an expression pedal for full volume manipulation; a Sax player would like to route via midi through their wind controller the VCA level. Allowing them more expression with oscillator textures and to be more expressive than just controlling the filter cut off.
  • Enable desktop delay LED. Will be implemented into delay Freeze
  • Enable MANUAL CC# button send.
  • Reduce patch file size without structure change for more disk free space for Mac users with a full disk. Secondary benefit faster loading.

Frequent and Popular Feature Requests

• Round robin voice assignment
  • Add MIX to mod destinations
  • SHIFT + keytrack toggle switch = ENV 2 keytrack
  • Sharpen the edges of LFO 1 waveforms, esp. square and random
  • Make transpose toggle switch work with local off (essential for Super 6 as a MIDI controller)
  • Allow for MPE Y CC# 74 not to be hardwired to filter cutoff
  • Add a ‘deadzone’ to DDS2 Tune Potentiometer to ensure the center marking is always in-tune with DDS1. Warp range around 0 detune for easier programming of subtle detune settings
30 Likes

I’d like to think you’re also considering shift and tune to give DDS2 a proper fine tune option. I realise the options mentioned will help a little but my single biggest issue for the last year has been lack of fine tune - due to the combination of coarse and fine tune in a single control. Pretty please?

10 Likes

Thank you so much for posting this update - this is really helpful. Obviously, I have no way of knowing how UDO’s internal workings function, but I’d suggest that sharing this kind of update regularly (once a month or something, but again, no way for me to know how often makes sense on your internal schedule) would go a long way toward turning the community of Super 6 owners into your most valuable marketing asset.

It’s a brilliant sounding instrument, and my willingness to recommend it to others unreservedly rises with improvements made to the firmware, but also with communication about it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Please also don’t forget about the:

Random / S&H Waveform LFO not functioning at maximum value

…we should consider to increase noise amplitude for LFO…

Again thanks for the update!

1 Like

Thank you for the update :slight_smile: When do you plan to release this new firmware ?

Regards.

1 Like

Being able to move the knob from where the preset is saved seems important to me, otherwise we cannot know where we are,thanks!
Cheers!

This is no bug. Please make sure that LR PHASE is set to zero in this case. (Note: LR PHASE is not set to zero when you load the init patch.)

3 Likes

There are a number of schemes of approaching this, and I’ve been giving it a lot of thought. Managing expectations it’s unlikely to make it into the next release but some intelligent way of warping control scales from where the pot was left might improve ability for patch deconstruction/editing. There a limit with fixed pots to what we can do of course! The best implementation of control warping I’ve ever seen is on old Tektronix analog oscilloscopes (model TDS2464 I think). These last generation analog test instruments had fixed pots but had setup recall and somehow managed to make them feel like endless encoders that would incrementally adjust despite their setting point… I still have one and will get it back out to play with …

3 Likes

Of course, I imagined that when you go through the same saved value, it would start to change, but the Tektronix thing is interesting… thank you very much!

I’ve stopped counting how many times I had to turn my Super 6 Desktop off and on again to get it to work again. :rage:
This time, it was the TEMPO knob that no longer responded (until I “powercycled” my Super 6) ! :nauseated_face:
Every time I turn it on to play, I wonder what problem will happen. :disappointed_relieved: Most of my problems are random. It’s difficult to open a ticket, because I don’t know how to reproduce them.
But, for a device that costs €2,220, I don’t find it serious at all to show so many issues. :rage:
Should we give the future version of firmware 0.90 a chance or sell it now, I seriously ask myself this question, after less than 4 weeks with my brand new Super 6 Desktop . :thinking:
Maybe the Super 6 Keyboard is more stable because it has less communication with others MIDI devices ? I don’t know.
Nevertheless, I do not recommend it to anyone, even if it sounds superb. :hushed:

Hi @Denony, assuming you have already been in contact with UDO support, but if not, I recommend connecting with them by sending an email to support@udo-audio.com. Their team is very responsive and will be committed to getting you taken care of.

In terms of your setup, would you mind sharing a bit more? Using it with a DAW? Midi in? Are you using another device’s clock? Wondering if you can attempt to isolate when issues occur and when they do not? Let us know.

2 Likes

I totally agree. I own a number of Elektron devices that I really like, but my biggest gripe with Elektron as a company is that they’re so incredibly secretive. Seeing internal meeting posts like these show up on the Elektronauts forum would be totally unheard of. I realise that you don’t want to promise a lot of things or reveal features that competitors can steal, but there’s a middle ground between that and not saying anything at all regarding future directions.

From what I’ve seen of UDO Audio, they seem to be quite open regarding what they work on, if you dig around for it on the forum, but I would love for them to be even more structured in this openness. For example, the developers of Microsoft Flight Simulator make regular blog posts in their forum, talking about what they currently are working on.

Now, if UDO audio were to do this, I don’t think it would have to be especially complicated or time consuming. Simply posting some meeting notes like was done above would go a really long way towards convincing users like me that I haven’t bought into vaporware. In fact, that post alone by @udo-audio probably made the difference between me keeping and me returning my Super 6 desktop unit that I recently bought (and judging from the number of likes on the post, it seems like a lot of other people really liked it as well).

I made a suggestion here to start to use the Announcement category of this forum more regularly and consistently.

4 Likes

Hello JimmyM

I use my Super 6 Desktop (firware 0.53) with an Arturia Keystep 37 (firmware 1.1.6) or a MPC One (firmware 2.10.2). Not both MPC One (named MPC1 below) or KeyStep 37 (named KS37 below) are connected to the Super 6 Desktop (named S6D below) at the same time. I use MIDI DIN olny (no USB).

I do not use my S6D with a Computer.

Issues raised with KS37 connected to MIDI IN of S6D : (more details here : ARP Not Responsive in ABLETON After I Stop Track)

• S6D cannot does no synchronise to KS37 clock [reproducible issue]
  • S6D ARP suddenly stop to work and cannot be enable until powercycle [random Issue]

Issues raised with KS37 connected to both MIDI IN and OUT of S6D :

Issues raised with MPC1 connected to MIDI IN of S6D :

• All upper panel faders and knobs suddenly stopped to respond, until powercycle [random issue - More details here : Upper panel knobs and faders suddenly irresponsives]
  • S6D TEMPO knob suddenly stopped to respond, until powercycle [random issue]
  • S6D does not synchronise to MPC1 clock (or does not understand MPC1 clock?) [reproducible issue] But this issue does not exist with my others synths and same MPC1 settings (Roland Boutique synths).
  • Sometime S6D resets to the first preset (not sure it is always the first one) when I press “Play” on MPC1. [random issue]

Only power cycle resolve the issues. I tried the reset procedure (hold MANUAL for 5 secondes and wait for auto-calibration complete), but it does not solve the problems.

My S6D is brand new (4 weeks old).

It’s so frustrating not being able to say “I’m going to enjoy playing with my S6D”, but rather wondering “What’s the problem with my S6D this time ?..”. :disappointed_relieved:

Hi @Denony - sorry to hear. Something to consider potentially is that since it sounds like there are many variables in the setup that depend on correct global settings across multiple devices, might be worth spending some time digging in deep to understand different settings in isolation to see how they behave with one another, if you haven’t already been on that journey. From my own learnings, there have been times I was “certain” it is one thing and it turns out to be “something else” and many “ah-ha” moments. In any case, if all else fails and it turns out to be a hardware/software issue, connect with the support team and keep us posted on how things go! You may end up identifying a bug or two that helps out S6 players for decades to come :smile:

4 Likes

Hello @JimmyM

Thank you for your support.

For the issues that are reproducible every time (clock problems) I really tried to understand what is happening by doing several tests, modifying the settings of the Super 6, the KeyStep and the MPC One. But I did not resolve them. Other forum members have tried and had the same problem with clock and KeyStep 37 (see ARP Not Responsive in ABLETON After I Stop Track - #18 by waxdoctor)

Oh, boy! Thanks for the nudge again - this change would absolutely change my sound design on the S6 immensely for the better. Please, please try to throw this into the next release/beta release, UDO team!

1 Like

I would like to state again one of the most vital thing this synth is missing is an indicator of currently stored position.
The DSI/sequential approach is so simple, and shouldn’t be that hard to implement:
when moving a certain slider or knob, one specific led will either turn on, or blink rapidly when that controller is in the position that is currently the saved one.

I don’t need warping, or pickup behaviour. Just a way of figuring out a knobs exact programmed position after it has been changed or a patch reloaded.
The amount of work & time spent trying to re-engineer my own patches is just frustratingly ridiculous.

i cannot overstate how important this kind of thing is for this synth. All the other things are minor bugs, or feature wishlist requests.

8 Likes

It’s funny how many different thoughts there are on this matter. I guess it comes down to how you use the synth. For me, what you listed is not important at all really. Rather, being able to modulate the VCA, having freely assignable polyphonic expression control, and having patches that loads really fast are what’s so important that I cannot overstate it :man_shrugging:

4 Likes