CV for dummies

Hi can someone explain CV for a dummy (me) please with the Super 6 in mind?

Just the very basic concept and possibilities/abilities.

Do I need a modular sequencer or something? Korg Volca Modular?

There are two options I know of for getting Control Voltage in Super 6.

1. First is using the pedal input on the backside to input a CV source. This gives you 1 additional source which you can use as a modulation source internally on the Super 6. In essence this would give you a “LFO3”. Someone other should probably comment on what kind of equipment that is electrically safe to connect.

Expression Pedal Input: Connect an expression pedal to this input to
add dynamics to your live performance. There are a variety of options for
using an expression pedal, since it is an assignable modulation source
in the Super 6’s modulation matrix. This input accepts any standard
expression pedal that features a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) connector and
operates with a linear potentiometer over a range of 0 to +5 volts.

1. Using MIDI CC (latest firmware) to manipulate every Super 6 controls. As an example you could control the filter cutoff in the DAW with a MIDI track lane. It would be triggered during playback.
    A more flexible alternative is using vcvrack.com. You can create virtual CV sources and output them to a CV-to-MIDI-CC module.
2 Likes

Hi Acidizer, CV or Control Voltage is a “standard” in EuroRack and non MIDI synths. It is a constant direct current voltage and can be “quantised” into steps, to allow it to play a monosynth in tune, over a range of several octaves, from bass cleff C. Roland synths such as JD-XA output in tune CV. CV can be used to control anything else, such as cutoff, resonance, where it is continuously variable, like MIDI CC.

Normally you use a Gate and CV together, in order to play your monosynth, otherwise it just makes a constant drone sound. Gate is an on/off switch of 4 volts DC which lasts as long as the key you are playing is held down. So Gate is one wire and CV is a second wire; they are not combined and sent on a single wire.

There is also Trig, which is like Gate, except the duration of the 4 volts is a set length pulse. Gate cannot be used to play long notes. Use Gate for drum and percussion sounds with a fixed length Amp envelope. If you only hear a blip or click, the Amp envelope is wrong for use with Gate.

Finally, WARNING. I do not connect a CV voltage into my UDO Super6, because this is not covered in the User Manual. I know it says something about Expression and CV input jack, but I am a cautious person. The Expression jack supplies a voltage, because an expression pedal is passive, and by adding another voltage into the jack, something in my beautiful Super6 may go pop.

1 Like

I just did this today and it worked. The manual says it accepts up to 5V, and I probably hit it with a signal that went up to 8V or so, so it’s possible it’s clipping the top, but it worked fine. I took a Eurorack LFO and used it to modulate LFO 1. Worked perfectly.

That said, at your own risk, YMMV, etc. But I’d like to hear more from UDO on this.