Invert LFO 1 Sawtooth waveform

Is there a way to invert LFO 1’s sawtooth waveform so that it functions as a ramp? Doesn’t seem like it from the documentation but I figured i’d ask. Also does anyone have an idea what that little LED under the LFO waveform selector knob is for? I haven’t gotten it to light up…

1 Like

Load a custom wave in for that, and assign it to the LFO. I’ll upload one for you…

Sawtooth.ws6 (8 KB)
ReverseSawtooth.ws6 (8 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you! Seems like a simple enough workaround. Still curious about that LED…

1 Like

No worries!

My Super 6 (and the pics of others I just took a quick look at) don’t have an LED under the LFO Waveform select knob. Could you post a pic?

I don’t think they are LEDs (there’s another one under the LFO knob too). They look like electrical contacts to me, and are part of the circuit board. Seems a lot of trouble to take, punching holes in case, for styling. Is it a secret Easter Egg from George Hearne???

1 Like

Yeah, I imagine it’s just where the knob PCB board attachments affix to the front panel. If I ever take mine apart I’ll let you know!

That’s not an LED, but a clip that helps stabilising the rotary control switch. You’ll also find it below the waveform selector and octave range switches in the oscillator section.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I feel like a doofus haha. Good to know though…

Not exactly the place for this, but I just wanted to say the build quality is astounding on the instrument. I have it on a rack with a few other instruments in the price range and my whole family is always fiddling with this one (and none of them play synthesizers). They never touch anything else, this one draws them in.

3 Likes

I was about to ask the same. I think it is a shame that such a basic feature is missing.
If it was availble in the mod-matrix it would work. Another workaround is using ENV1 with Attack up and Decay down. Also, a user defined wave is a possibility, but these are odd. I think some kind of a Shift mode for LFO waveshape would do it??

Hi all. Regarding the inverted sawtooth.

The Super 6 has no menus, deliberately so, and this forces us to thing creatively about how we extend the features to reach as many possible user ‘end points’ as we can, knowing that our user base is extremely diverse and everyone uses the thing differently.

For very many operations, there is a workaround, or a little trick you can do. I call this ‘gamification’ but it is a made up word! This was often the case with vintage hardware, where designers were forced to dream up creative ways to use limited technology.

In this particular case I would suggest there are two options to get a ramp LFO.

Option 1
Use ENV1 in LOOP mode with A = Ramp Rate, D=0, S=0. Setting the VCF ENV to ENV2 then the VCA ENV to Either GATE or Fixed ENV, means you have not sacrificed a full ADSR for the VCF. You can use ENV tracking in this mode to also vary the ramp (inverted saw) rate across the keybed

Option 2
Create a RAMP waveform, save it to the Super 6 drive, there is one kindly provided on this thread I think. This can be copied into the LFO1, giving you whatever wave you want. This is also saved with the patch and does not need to be kept on the Super 6 drive. Recalling the patch later can be a quick way of starting off an inverted sawtooth LFO1 patch.

Hope this helps!

George

7 Likes