Super 6 editor

Does anyone have this editor workable with udo? I connected my udo super with midi as suggested in the manual. Started udo drive in read mode but whatever I change on the editor does not reflect on the synth. What am I missing here?

I nevet got it to work with first version and was a bit unsure if it was due to user error or OSx on the Mac.

Thereā€™s a new version out but I havenā€™t tried it out yet, and donā€™t know if that fixed anything.
Which Version are you on?

Mine is working,
My Super 6 is connected to USB port to my Mac (Big Sur)
On the synth set the first two switches on in the SHIFT MENU-TX/RX E
On the Editor Midi Menu select Super 6 as INPUT and OUTPUT DEVICE
In the Super 6 Browser and info TAB of the Editor select only ā€œSwitch to A1-P1ā€ ( for UDO keyboard model)

1 Like

Hi, better to contact me directly so we can focus on your precise case :wink:
The setup is a bit trickyā€¦Many things to check:

• start with Super 6 drive in write mode (start the synth with Patch button pressed)
  • Global settings: Midi channel in editor should be the same as on synth
  • Global settings: TX/RX E: 2 first buttons LED steady, last one flashing
  • Global settings: TX/RX P: 2 first buttons LED steady
  • Set High resolution OFF in editor
  • set the Midi Input and Output to Super 6 in Midi menu
  • always start the synth first then the editor so the Midi communication is recognized (happy faces)
  • set AddInfo folder path
  • set Super 6 drive folder path
  • closing the editor and restarting it should have kept all those settings

Let me know!

Hi, please recontact me if you didnā€™t do it yet and describe your issue.
On which MacOS are you?
Last version of the editor is 1.3
I will now start working on the Save.

1 Like

Thanks Dom.

We have been in contact just after the software release and I appreciate that youā€™re reaching out to me now.

Iā€™m sure I can get it to work with the new version but since it didnā€™t in the first place, even with your help, I just left it at that and didnā€™t follow up on it.

But that has probably more to do with me than anything else, Iā€™m just not a software guy and if itā€™s not working right away I rather spend my time playing with the synth.

Best

1 Like

Found our conversation so letā€™s restart and continue finding a solution. I sent you an email :wink:

1 Like

If the editor adds a working save button and LFO clock divisions that sync with host daw, I will for sure buy a super 6. Iā€™m very Daw oriented and canā€™t justify the synth otherwise. But I am following the progress here.
Not being able to automate multiple parameters at once is something else I read on the website which would make it much less useful programming from a daw for me. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

1 Like

FYI, I found the issue for the program change not occurring all the time and it is probably a bug of the synth (I already sent a request to UDO so they can confirm). Sending a program change to the current patch is not reloading the patch but the issue is that the patch file has meanwhile been changed on the drive.
So, I used a workaround to change to A1-P2 then directly after to A1-P1 and since then, no more issue. Always the last loaded sound cooge

Using Load of a patch not yet in the synth is still a bit slow. I changed the button to one with a LED and the LED is lit as long as the Load is not finished. Just a visual matter to be patient and wait a few secondsā€¦

So, ready to release v1.4 latest next w-e.
Thenā€¦the Saveā€¦including some crazy tests to use different patches for each pair of voices. Iā€™m really curious about that one. Will let you know!

2 Likes

Version 1.4 has now been sent to the users. It contains the following changes:

• All parameters re-indexed from 0 for easier automation (clearly visible in Cakewalk)
  • Display patch name in LCD when scrolling programs
  • Added workaround to secure program change to A1-P1. Probably a bug of the Super 6 (not yet confirmed by UDO support that seems to not reload the sound from the Super 6 drive when a program change is received on the current program. An issue as Iā€™m using A1-P1 for consecutive loads from D1/D2 banksā€¦
  • Only allowing Direct mode with Super 6 bank (temporary because really too slow due to the time to write on the Super 6 drive. Cross fingers for an access to the edit buffer in the next OS update)
  • Added Rename source as Program action in Librarian
  • Added Rename destination as Program action in Librarian
  • Added check for p0_Init_Program.s6 file in the temp folder at startup
  • Complete uncomplete D1/D2 banks with Init programs: when only a few presets are provided on different banks, this is transforming the situation into a full 128 presets bank with the missing programs being Init programs ready to be replaced
  • Remove single and double quotes in program names
  • Remove not allowed characters /\*?:<>| in names

The manual has also been updated and the changes are indicated by a vertical line.

Now, I start with the Save and will do my best to deliver this during summer.

6 Likes

@goodweather in 1.4 version the first tab background is black, but it was fine before when I tried. Running VST version in Bitwig as before. Any ideas?

UPD: probably it can be due to the latest MacOS.

Hi, I already answered you by email but replying also here for the other existing users in case of :wink:
The issue is due to the fact I changed the background picture and some other ones between the versions of the editor.
Download the 1.3 zip file and follow the instructions about the images.
You can keep your 1.4 as-is; just handle the images.

Quick questionā€¦ Does the editor require the Super 6 to be connected via USB or can it work with DIN MIDI?

Will soon provide a v1.5 with some corrections thx to the feedback of a user.
Unfortunately, the display of the fixed mod matrix was inverted (columns and rows)ā€¦
Not happy about this but it is what it is.

3 Likes

ā†’ Goodweather: since UDO seems not to have any interest in patch file compatibility from S6 to SG nor they seem to develop a converter, could you do such a converter program, maybe as a part of the editor? The task could be defined here, basically it is to let S6 patches run on the SG (in one layer of course with restriction to compatible functionality between both) and vice versa.
Example: if in the next firmware update of the S6 Mixer MOD is functional but the SG does not have this feature, this function would be neglected in the comnversion to SG. In the conversion program, it shall be possible to select, if upper or lower layer of the SG will get the S6 patch.

1 Like

Hi, this is do-able. I already wrote a bidirectional converter between Prologue and Minilogue XD based on the same principle. The PL has 2 layers and the parameters are closed but also somewhat different so I had to make choices.
From what I know of the SG, I think the parameters will be very close so this is good.
BUT
The issue is that I have now a probably 95% understanding of the S6 patch file content (not an usual one, I can tell you) but 0% info about the SG patch file.
I would need to get the basic info from George then some user going deeper and confirming the parameters positions.
For the S6, Iā€™m waiting since summer to have a meeting with George to answer my remaining questions (Iā€™ll send them a reminder after the release of S6 FW 1.0 as we can all be sure they are very busy right now).

Conclusion: with a good complete documentation, this is possible without any problem.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer, Goodweather!
I will send an email to UDO to make them aware of this ā€œissueā€.

2 Likes

v1.5 sent to all users.

It contains the following changes:

• Correction: display of the fixed mod matrix was inverted. Now it is correct. I also verified the User mod matrix. About that, please note that in Firmware 0.53, it is possible to assign as User modulations the same 64 Fixed modulations. If the same modulation is made as Fixed and as User, it is the last one made that will be taken into account. The User modulation will not be visible while the Fixed one is visible.
  • Correction: LFO2VCF and LFO2DDS were inverted
  • Swing LEDs changed from 1-4 to 0-4 (difference in the Super 6 V3 vs V4 manual)
  • Removed Welcome message button
  • Added Midi Settings button
2 Likes