Super Gemini/6 Mod matrix routing discoverability idea

Just posting these suggestions here as I’m not sure if my email with it got through…

Current operation should remain unchanged, provided that your buttons can be programmed to act upon release so that they can distinguish between a long press and a short press.

The proposed UI for discovering mappings is as follows:

Press and hold the MOD ASSIGN button. Its LED will be steadily lit, thus distinguishing from the normal mod assign mode. Patch and Bank LEDs will go dark.

Continue holding the MOD ASSIGN button. Move a slider, knob or switch on the panel. (I’ll hereafter just use “slider” to cover all options.) If the moved slider is a destination in the mod matrix, then the LEDs of any sources which are directed towards it will begin flashing.

(This process will time out after say five seconds. Also, if another slider is moved, then in the case where it has no assignments, the LEDs will go dark, and in the case where it does have assignments, those source LEDs will begin flashing. This behaviour should be enough to distinguish between two sliders which share exactly the same sources when moving first one and then the other. However, to make it even clearer, you could make it so the assigned source LEDs briefly either go dark or light steadily before flashing again when moving between consecutive destination sliders.)

As for showing the modulation depth, there are several potential options, I’ll propose 2 here:

a.
Continue to hold the MOD ASSIGN button and press one of the flashing source buttons. The modulation depth for that source as mapped to the recently moved slider will be displayed on the LEDs. This could then be adjusted with the MOD AMOUNT dial if desired. If nothing is touched for a few seconds it could time out and revert to showing the sources mapped to the recently moved slider (via flashing LEDs).

b.
Continue to hold the MOD ASSIGN button and press one of the flashing source buttons. Its LED will now become solidly lit. Now move the MOD AMOUNT dial one click (in either direction). The modulation depth for that source as mapped to the recently moved slider will be displayed on the LEDs. Further clicks of the MOD AMOUNT dial would adjust the depth.

If nothing is touched for a few seconds, the LEDs could time out and revert to the steadily-lit source. Pressing that source could then revert to the view where the assigned source LEDs for the recently-moved slider are flashing.

Alternatively, instead of timing out to the steadily-lit source, one could press any of the source buttons to immediately revert to the view where the assigned source LEDs for the recently-moved slider are flashing.

Repeat step 2 for the same or another slider, or go to step 5.

Release the MOD ASSIGN button to exit.

I have tried to flesh out that idea, keeping as much to your current implementation as possible. Obviously if you feel it doesn’t fit your paradigm, you could amend it accordingly. I’m confident there is an elegant solution to this problem.

__

I also had a related idea for discovering stored values of sliders, switches and knobs:

When moving a slider, knob or switch, would it be possible to have something like the PATCH button LED flash briefly when the value stored in the preset data is reached?

@udo-audio should I have posted this and my other suggestion in the “feature wish list” section instead?

2 Likes

I like your thinking.

What about a configuration file the synth reads when booting, almost like autoexec.bat? Users could configure various text option and so on.