UDO Super Gemini

I’m not personally interested in this one either, but I also hope that it means more dev is coming on the Super6. Also, the white on a keyboard looks nice. I’m sure it doesn’t sound as good as the blue ones, but it will be close.

this looks awesome, i’m very excited to hear more. i definitely would get this to replace my S6 if i could. why do people complain on here when UDO announces such a cool new product? it’s easy to nitpick small details (e.g. only 256 preset slots!?? :man_facepalming:) but like the S6–which I love–the complaints usually seem minor. the price is going to be another matter. i’m guessing this will be out of reach for most as the S6 was already pretty expensive. hoping it’ll be $4k, but guessing it’ll be $5k, which puts it into competition with a lot of other things and sadly means it’ll be a no go for me.

1 Like

what bugs are so frustrating to you? i hardly encounter any and use my S6 almost daily.

6 Likes

I hope Gemini will have a better modulation joystick. The one on S6 is just a pressure controller, no travel.

3 Likes

It looks really cool. UDO definitely have an aesthetic that I dig. However I just bought the Super 6 like 2-3 months ago. I’m very happy with what I have and as they say “enough is a choice.” Maybe Peter Gabriel can put one of these next to his Quantum or whatever haha

UDO will be under pressure to ensure potential Gemini buyers that the synth , sure to be megabucks so not an impulse buy, is bug free and fully supported by the UDO team. Any potential purchaser will research the company and existing product ‘issues’ during the purchasing process and draw their own conclusions from the on -going- support offered to existing S6 owners. As such I think we should see a major software update very soon and maybe a hardware update made available to purchase (more user memory, few more voices, ability to split the keyboard etc )

According to the recent Superbooth video, it looks like the Super 6 will have a major update. From all that has been said in that video I get the feeling that UDO is doing whatever they can to grow and sustain themselves as a company and I have nothing but praise for them for doing so.

I guess we should all congratulate ourselves for owning the S6 and recognizing the potential and having enough faith in a new company that emerged in probably the worse time for any emerging company.

I think that the Super 6 will not be left behind as George talks about how the engines are very much alike and I wouldn’t think that, as a company, UDO will only chase the ‘next big thing’ while abandoning 100% of their userbase in the process.

So all in all, this is big and positive news. It would have been a lot more scary to know that we are customers of a one product company.

8 Likes

What a fantastic instrument! Hats off to George and the team for pulling this off. I’ll be selling my S6 to fund a Gemini purchase. $4k USD is just right.

Congrats on the Gemini! I have the S6 desktop, and I said that releasing a new product won’t benefit UDO. Well, I changed my mind. The best next step possible. Superfamily. It keeps UDO in business, and we know they don’t move on from the S6 just yet. George words. I would love to hear more about that S6 update, though, but I’m cool as long it is coming. Bravo UDO :clap:

1 Like

The gemini looks and sounds amazing - looks like it has slightly shorter sliders than the S6 keyboard version, seems similar to the desktop version, wonder if they perform any differently.

I was interested in this too as I’ve never particularly liked the feel of the Soup’s sliders - most are just too slow and stiff compared to, well, any of my Rolands for example. If the Gemini’s shorter sliders were smoother, faster and more consistent then I think I’d want to trade up one day - assuming there will be a Blue Gemini model (and orange is not used for any of the controls). :wink:

Yeah, the sliders look like they are similar to the desktop version. I hope I am wrong.

Great looking synth and demo! Happy to see it’s built on the same codebase as Super 6 - which means both products will benefit in the long run. I’d be tempted to upgrade but my marriage would not survive it. Way easier to sneak in eurorack modules.

1 Like

hahaha - so true - i feel you

1 Like

Wow, what a soundmachine. Congratulations, UDO team!

Now I have several questions and ideas:

• my fear is, many many S6 users will now try to sell their S6 for a Gemini. Used S6 prices will drop, the more the longer I wait to sell it. Thus, I would have to sell it right now, without knowing enough about the Gemini.

• the analog signal path and the sound is changed compared to S6. I love the S6 sound and I would be very dissappointed if Gemini will not sound the same. The first two videos with sound (Sonicstate and Hand in Hand distribution) are not bad, but I cannot hear the lovely S6 sound any more. It is really different, I would like to compare the difference with Yamaha Montge versus Korg Kronos. S6 shines in the Stereo perspective and the lower mid range frequencies (which I love), but Gemini is not that Stereo horse with more focus on the higher mid range frequencies but less high frequencies.

• According to Sonicstate video (what George told), currently there is no full implementation of the Gemini features, there is an implementation schedule (e.g. MPE) and features will be introduced later. That reminds me very much to S6 introduction, where many features were not available right from start. It would be fair to tell, which features will be available from summer and which will be on a list for the next years to come.

• There are very interesting new features (ring mod and wave morphing), which may have not been implemented now (otherwise George would have shown them). Will these features be available to S6? I fear, no. Especially wave morph opens up new sound possibilities and should be possible with S6, too, as there are enough faders and knobs to take the task.

• He did not say a word about the S6 firmware update content. What will be done? What will be corrected? Which features are added? When will it be available?

That were my ideas, I am sure many of you will have the same ideas. Hopefully there will be answers.

4 Likes

Did anyone see info on where this synth is being manufactured/assembled?

chillllllll. let the team work and they will deliver. Everything will be fine.

Imagining the same shop where the Super 6 gets made (German manuf/assembler that also makes the Waldorf synths from what I’ve heard)

I believe UDO has brought their manufacturing in house in the UK.

I understand the earlier units were indeed made in germany (mine from late 2020/early 2021 is a german unit) but after a few production runs UDO took it back to the UK, probably easier for them to do QC and such that way. I think. Worth noting I don’t work in UDO operations or anything, so I wouldn’t know.

also noticed a couple of other things, the LFO 1 slider seems to go to 10kHz rather than 20kHz on the super 6 at the top of the range and the delay level knob has been removed in way of what looks like a slider on each of the layers. This also seems to be a delay send? that sounds quite cool.