UDO Super Gemini Questions

Is one layer still 10 super voices? or 5 on each layer?

Turn binaural mode off and you get 10 voices on each layer. for sureā€¦

Hereā€™s my interesting question, is the binaural mode per layer or only for the whole synth? I could see wanting to do a mono lead or bassline with a wider pad sound.

1 Like

I think it would be nice if voice allocation was dynamic. So if youā€˜d play a mono bass line on the left part you would have up to nine voices for the right part etc.

1 Like

Binaural can be switched on and off independently so you can have:

Single

Split/dual
10/10
10/5
5/10
5/5

So you can always have up to 10 voices in any one layer regardless of the other layer settings.

The hardware is true-dual (Gemini!?) so there are two pairs of outputs (plus mix) two independent fx processors etc. which means the voices cannot be split dynamically, however choosing 20 analog voices means thereā€™s generally enough for most uses most of the time.

3 Likes

Why the Gemini is not a real twin S6 ā†’ 2 x 6/12 voices = 12/24 voices?

Is it due to the morphing feature (which has to mix between 2 different waveforms online)?
If yes, could this morphing feature be introduced to the S6 by dropping voices?

Some more questions:

• LFO2: does the LFO2 implementation in Super Gemini support higher frequencies comppared to S6? If yes, will this be implemented to S6 in a firmware update?

• LFO1 upper/bottom layer: are they related to each other by common clock? If no, how can they be synchronized? I assume, a constant phase relation between both can be managed by the phase slider, correct?

• Is the Audio Input not available any more for Super Gemini?

Hi,

LFO2 is broadly similar as Super 6 but does have different wave shapes. The frequency range is extended a bit because the aftertouch can increase its frequency and one doesnā€™t want to max it out. No plans to increase on S6 right now.

LFO1 is synchronous upper/lower when in single mode. ARP/midi clock sync works the same way as s6.

Audio in is only on super 6 and desktop, not Gemini

2 Likes

Hi,

is there any good material focusing on raw sound difference between S6 and Gemini? I know that George mentioned few details in one of Superbooth interviews, but I would like to know more.
I love the sound of my S6, but always missed the 5th octave and the second layer, so I have preordered Gemini at the second it was listed. Now I wonder if the sound difference is that noticeable that it would justify keeping both instruments or notā€¦

I doubt the raw sound differences will be that different. The form-factor and simplicity of the Super 6 is enough to keep it around I think.

Sure there will be endless discussion on GS and al re: Gemini sounding more xyz than Super6 etc.

Right, this is exactly the type of question one doesnā€™t ask on GSā€¦ No matter the facts the answer is going to be ā€œkeep bothā€ :smiley:

Well you donā€™t need to go to GS for that. Someone in this forum was already genre-pigeonholing S6 to ambient while Gemini would be better for Techno. Go figure. Like I can only play Bach with a violin. While another will be for Mozart.

New website is up with some specifications. No discussion of ā€œsonic characterā€ but more information than weā€™ve put out so far

3 Likes

Some content of the new website in the spec section seems not to be up to date or is wrong: S6 can store 32 waveforms, not 16; S6 DDS2 is not sampling but algorithmic. Basically, it would be good to use the same wording for same items in S6 and SG spec section (DDSx is the sameā€¦). It would be nice to have an overview table showing S6, S6D and SG so that it is more easy to recognice the differences.

1 Like

George did say in one of the Superbooth demonstrations that it will be voiced slightly differently to the Super 6. Not radically so, and complimentary, but some tweaking has occurred - or at least that was my takeaway from what he said

1 Like

Does anyone know if thereā€™s a Super Gemini desktop planned? I guess it would have to be a pretty big desk, but this feels like a good form factor for me personally.

2 Likes

I have to say - Iā€™m also interested by the answer to this question.

Quick question:

I mightā€™ve missed this somewhere, but in ā€œSingle Modeā€ could I use the settings of one layer to control both?

In single mode, layer select chooses between which layer is active, so the keyboard and can be switched between layers quickly. The upper controls always affect the upper layer and the lower controls always affect the lower layer, so switching between layers and splits doesnā€™t leave controls in the wrong position

1 Like

The Gemini concept as it is doesnā€™t really extend to a desktop format so there are no plans right now sorry!