Super Gemini, some functions not working as expected?

First to say I really love my Gemini, and will say more about how I’m using it and share some patches and such in good time.

Here I have a few questions about functions I have either misunderstood or are perhaps not working, I thought I’d start a thread before preparing an email to support in case any of my fellow forum-goers manage to help me resolve or clarify anything (for instance whether it’s just me or not!) …

1. I cannot get LFO 1 to function in Direct Parameter Mapping. The manual states: “To increase the potential of LFO 1, this method applies to the button labelled LFO 1” - this leads me to believe I should be able to hold it, move one of the sliders corresponding to an available modulation destination, and then have LFO 1 acting as a modulation source. Doesn’t work for me.

2. Modulation of DDS 2 Pulse Width. I am led to believe this should also be possible. What I find is that, while I can create a direct parameter mapping using the above method, in practise this only effects the DDS 1 Detune parameter.

3. Playing over the Sequencer. The manual states I should be able to use remaining voices to play along with the sequence while SEQ REC is flashing. I can only do so by activating another layer, I was under the impression - although it isn’t precisely clear - this referred to being able to play over the sequence with the available remaining voices on the same layer?

4. Wave Morphing algorithm. Curious what’s going on here - sounds quite close to crossfading. Don’t know if anything more “interesting” is possible there? Still sounds great just somehow a bit more “vanilla” than I was expecting. Perhaps it is just the static nature of the waves, and I have distorted expectations based on wavescanning?

That’s all I can think of just at the minute, although another question I have concerns interoperability of Gemini & Super 6 patches (although obviously not Gemini performances). I tried loading some Super 6 patches, once as they were and once just by changing the .s6 suffix to .usg, to no avail. Do I remember reading of a converter somewhere? That would be really cool! (Obviously not all patches would transfer with 100% fidelity, but still a nice option to have.)

Lastly just to say that it sounds really great, and goes to some quite interesting experimental places. I’m really enjoying exploring!

2 Likes

Hi,
the answer to 1. is to find here https://forum.udo-audio.com/t/udo-super-gemini-questions/1887/81?u=monstergemini

I have a question regarding „hold“ while Keyboard is in „single mode“:
If i play a note or an arpeggio and activate „hold“ in the upper layer, „hold“ gets turned off when i switch to the lower layer (and vice versa)!
I don‘t think it‘s an error in my SG (but i may be wrong). In „split mode“ everything with „hold“ works as excpected, „hold“ can work simultanuosly on both layers. So it shouldn‘t be a problem with processing power.

Does someone know why it is this way or how to use „hold“ in keyboard „single mode“ on both layers?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link, @MonsterGemini - so it seems the passage regarding LFO 1 as modulation source was left over from an early draft of the manual, but we can hope that UDO may implement it at some point in the future - would add a few possibilities, especially in combination with “battwave” (the ability to use the additional waveforms also as LFO shapes, as seen in the Super 6).

Regarding the hold function, I would guess the problem is that in single mode only one of the layers is active at any one time.

Glad i could help @unclewayback

You may be right with the hold function.
But i find the “split mode” limiting (you just don’t have the whole keyboard to play for each layer and you basicly have to use the lower layer for low frequency/bass sounds and the upper layer for higher frequency sounds/leads, because they are assigned that way on the keyboard).
For a “performance instrument” i was hoping not to be limited like this!

You could file this as a feature request or an option to be implemented in new firmware.

@Jonah thanks for the hint!
I’ll try to write it down in a less complaining way :crazy_face: and post it in the Feature Wishlist corner.

You’re not complaining!