UDO Super Gemini Questions

Will there be additional livery/color way for the super Gemini or only in white?

The super gemini looks great in white, and I have one on pre-order.

I also own a blue super 6, and I wanted to ask because if a blue super gemini comes out later I’ll probably wish I had waited; blue synths are cool and I’d love it if my UDOs matched.

So what’s the game plan there? Are there plans for addition colors at some point, and if so, is a blue one coming?

I love my super 6, and can’t wait for the Gemini, no matter what color it is. Thanks for making such an innovative, inspiring and excellent sounding synths! :grinning:

No plans for other colour ways for Gemini sorry. We’re soon to make the last Blue desktop, and the Black Super 6 (my favourite!) production has already ceased, leaving white as the main line colour way. We think the colours work well together and I wouldn’t worry if they are not the same if you have two UDO products. I have a white desktop and a black super 6 kb that look really smart together

1 Like

Thanks so much for the quick and direct response! :grinning:

i still regret buying the black s6 not the blue one. Have any spare outer cases going?

Can each layer be on a different MIDI channel?

Yes, both layers are assigned to adjacent MIDI channels. The MIDI channel selected in the global settings is assigned to the upper layer, while the MIDI channel one number above is assigned to the lower layer. For example, if you set the base MIDI channel to 5, MIDI channel 5 is assigned to the upper layer and MIDI channel 6 to the lower layer.

I have a memory / file management question. If I understand correctly, a Performance consists of two Patches - one assigned to each layer. I presume that if I edit a patch within a performance and then save the patch, any other performance referencing the same patch will also have changed.

My strong preference would be for performances to contain their own dedicated edit buffers for each layer, with both layer settings saved within that performance slot. Layers could then be copied & pasted into other performances as desired.

I suspect this may not be how the architecture is implemented. Could UDO please confirm how file management works in this regard? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

This is a million-dollar question to me! Roland do it the way that AMJ is mentioning, and it’s THE WORST, yet lots of companies follow suit. Please don’t do it! :wink:

Performance and Patch memory are completely separate, so saving a performance or editing a patch within it has no effect on the saved Patches. To share a Patch with another Performance, you will have to save the patch, then reload it into the other performance.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying so quickly. I look forward to seeing you guys at Synthfest in a few weeks :grinning:

Hello, I’m just wondering what the rundown is on the pedal connectivity?

The specs list 4 inputs: volume, expression, sustain per layer and delay per layer. Looks like the volume and expression are guitar style rockers, while the layer and delay per layer are piano style, but looking at the rear panel there are icons showing both single and dual manual pedals? Does the dual pedal add additional functionality (both layers accessed simultaneously?) or what’s the deal?

More to the point, I guess what I really want to know is what pedals should I order so when my Gemini preorder arrives I have the maximum amount of pedal-age control available?

Stoked for this this thing!

The volume and expression pedal inputs accept any standard expression pedal that features a TRS connector and operates with a linear potentiometer over a range of 0 to +5 volts.

The sustain pedal input accepts a single or dual footswitch. A single footswitch sustains upper layer notes. When a dual footswitch is connected, the left pedal sustains the upper layer notes while the right pedal sustains the lower layer notes.

The delay freeze input also accepts a single or dual footswitch. When using a single footswitch, it controls the upper layer delay freeze function. When a dual footswitch is connected, the left pedal controls the upper layer delay freeze function, while the right pedal controls the lower layer delay freeze function.

Just adding that using the “push in one click” method a single switch can control the opposing layer. Also a simple stereo splitter can connect two single switches to the stereo input giving one pedal per layer.

Amazing, thank you both for the detailed answers! One add-on Q: is sustain continuous or off/on, and will the SG send appropriate MIDI cc?

I know for me this is replacing my master keyboard for space and poly-AT reasons, so it would be extra wonderful if it could allow playing a piano VST with pedalling reasonably well.

Sustain is on/off and will be transmitted via CC64 as per MIDI standard.

1 Like

@udo-audio Is the Super Gemini still scheduled for release in October or has it been pushed back to December?

Will the Gemini have motorised knobs / sliders like the Melbourne Instruments Nina synth. Looking at the Nina its another hybrid / analog synth with no LED / screen but with the very modern and game changing advantage of when you change a patch the knobs move to reflect all the settings related to that patch - a real game changer to say the least. In my mind this is a WOW factor and should be installed in all non screen / LED based synths esp when they retail at very close price points.

If that were the case UDO would surely have made it very clear. Given that motorised pots are nowhere to be seen on the spec sheet, it’s a safe bet to assume no.

I’d imagine the pots on Nina are a big part of the bill of materials, especially given their high specification. I too love it as a feature, and agree it’s way more than a gimmick. But price point aside, these instruments are clearly very different, as a quick look at each will show.

Nina has a screen! Gemini has the same HW basics as the Super 6, thus no motorized pots are used. Cost would increase some more hundred Euros/Dollars with these pots. For sliders, same technology is available (refer to studio mixers).

Melbourne Instruments stated that they developed the motorized pots themself and have also applied for a patent. So its not a component generally available.

In the Andertons presentation on youtube, if I remember correctly, UDO said they used the production model.