UDO Super Gemini

My Super 6 Desktop was made in United Kingdom :smile:

Yeah, there are Made In Germany and Made In The UK Super 6s, you can tell from the Serial Number label on the back, mine’s a Made In Germany.

1 Like

First time wave morph is shown here:

https://youtu.be/QvHsik9vSXc?t=139

There are obviously some possibilities to morph between waveforms:
morph between two analog waves (selector switch: adjacent waves according to position)
morph between two digital waves (A/B waveform bank)
My impression: it is not a morphing, but a volume blending between both waves! In the middle position of the fader, both waves are played, in the end positions the single waves. I could be wrong.

1 Like

I’ve never owned a bi-timbral synth. Anyone know if each layer is limited to 5 super voices? For example, if I only use one layer, will it be 5 voices?

Is there a video of George using one layer in binaural and the other without?

1 Like

It depends. I own a moog one, and that one lets you allocate how many voices you want to each layer. Before that I owned a 16 voice rev2, and if you engage the second layer on that one both layers are automatically allocated 8 voices with no way to change it.

It seems from the Sonicstate video that the Gemini is actually variant of the S6 sound engine with subtle but noticeable changes to the actual sound characteristics , the S6 more ‘airy’ and the Gemini more ‘compressed’ . As such it is not really a ‘replacement’ to the S6 more of a different flavour of the same engine. Think the S6 for newage / film music and the compressed sound of the Gemini for more techno type sounds . That said the Gemini has more controllers etc making its interface suitable for major control of the S6 synth engine umm. Given the fact that the software for the Gemini is still in development , along side the next update for the S6 it seems to me that we (S6 owners ) will see a much improved software package within the next few months - one thing I did hear George say on the Video is that 20 voices should be the minimum - maybe a hint to what is coming in the next upgrade - who knows?

I don’t think this is the case at all. They both are flexible to use and excel in any music genre. Most of what George played during his demos sounded more like soundtracks than techno.

1 Like

This is kinda a bummer. But likely a product of the slider throw being shorter.

Agreed that George played soundtrack type sounds on his demo however , the current ‘compressed’ nature of the Gemini prototype should lend itself to harder Techno type sounds as well as similar but ‘compressed’ versions of the sounds found within the S6.
I have yet to hear a convincing hard EDM type sound directly from the S6 , sure basic versions of these types of sounds may be possible but it seems to me that they are not the S6 main strength, as George said the S6 has an ‘airy sound’ .
I know if I want EDM type sounds, I fire up my Waldorf Pulse analog synth which excels at mega hard base lines and heavy filtered EDM type sounds - that is its core strength.
Every hardware Synth has its own strength / sound hence I feel that the ‘compressed’ nature of the Gemini and airy nature of the S6 should complement each other every well.
Anyway, at the moment its all speculation , the Gemini is not finished and the S6 has been promised a significant upgrade so who knows what both synths will sound like come the real release date of the Gemini.

I knew I had to wait to buy the desktop for a dual layer Super 6!
I love the idea to being able to adjust the 2 layers at the same time. Most multitimbral synthesizers only have one control panel for all timbres.

My only remark with the Super 6 is the pitch/mod bender. Traditional pitch and mod wheel feel more natural to use to me. There is still some room in the top left corner of the Super Gemini!

Also,
if UDO Audio would need some patch designers for the Super Gemini…
:wink:

George, please - add 2 pole mode on lowpass and a parallel hpf. This instrument is so CS-80, lets make it full on.
BTW where is that legend dude who made Gemini in photoshop like 2 yrs ago lol;)
I am getting one for sure. Also, I am happy to design some patches :stuck_out_tongue:

Also some minor improvements that would be awesome:

1. a small screen, just like on prophet 5/10 - there is enough space for 3 numbers, and it could really help navigate.
  2. global lfo settings to free or reset, but always on (lfo 2)
  3. ring mod :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder how the mod matrix works on this, LFO1 and Key# as mod source, as well as Mix as mod destination are oddly lacking on the S6 as of now.

It’s not nuclear physics and it’s still May, there’s plenty of time to do it right.

2 Likes

If you’re gonna fix things, I’d also like two portamento sliders. And continuous controls for keytrack and drive - I really dislike those three-way switches.
Edit: oh, and replace the octave switches with Jupiter 6-like continuous quantized controls please, freeing up ‘tune’ to be ‘detune’ like the Jupe also. Yeah baby!

I just disagree. For the most part, I’m able to get sounds I want for any genre out of any synth unless there are functional limitations such as lack of polyphony. I’m betting the Gemini will do everything the S6 does, just better with more options for expression and bitimbrality.

,Great discussion just shows that everyone has his/her own ‘feeling’ regarding which synth suits their music, thank god we all want something different or we would all be using generic Korg or Roland flagship synths.

I love the arp at 0:19 in the video. Do you think that sound is possible to make on the Super 6? Still unsure if there will be sounds that will be possible to make on the Gemini that can’t be made on the 6.

pleasepleasepleaseplease make it possible to select custom tunings and don’t let this beautiful keyboard synth be locked in the tonal prison on 12TET.
This is the one major thing I’m holding out on in the decision.

This synth sounds/looks absolutely beautiful!

I will pre-order this but I’ll have to replace the orange knobs with white ones haha.

also. lil screen plz tyvm m8

2 Likes

I’m not sold on a screen personally, i like the flow without. But would it work to have an app that connects via usb or something so people can add a screen if they want? Similar to the Teenage Engineering thing. Should keep everyone happy that way

3 Likes