Boot drive configuration file ideas

Hello,

Absolutely enthralled with S6. I’ve come to appreciate the exclusion of a screen. Using my hands and ears rather than eyes is refreshing with a new synthesizer. No menu-diving! :heart:

However, the lack of screen also creates some limitations for the firmware that can be implemented while keeping the UI sensible. Worst-case scenario users have to recall increasing amount of shift-functions that are not marked on the panel as there’s no screen to reflect new menu items etc.

There’s already been some discussion about possibility for a configuration file in the boot drive to alter / modify some deeper settings or even architectural aspects of the synthesizers. This type of configuration file in the Boot drive would give UDO additional “UI room” for features. I thought that this idea deserves it’s own topic for discussion.

I’ve had lots of experiences with config files on the modular world. They are a simple way to give users a handle on some aspects that they would like to change / address but that are not pivotal to the central operation of the synthesizer.

Some ideas that come to mind:

#1:Cross-mod type: “Exponential FM” (default), “Linear FM”, “Linear through-zero FM”, “Oscillator feedback”, “Binary combine”
Explanation: Exponential FM is pretty intense most of the time. The possibility to introduce linear, LTZFM or even single-oscillator feedback (will introduce pitch instability but it’s fun!) could open up cross mod for more uses. Binary combine would use the cross mod fader to switch between AND / OR / XOR etc. binary logic operators between the values of DDS1 and DDS2 this is a classic for achieving brutal digital artifacts and would fit the Super 6 aesthetic well IMO.

#2: Switch Bend+ / Bend- modulators to other sources such note number (discussed in some other topic already), LFO1 (would be great but I don’t think it’s happening), ENV2 or even Bend± (combination of the two)
Explanation: Bend+ / Bend- already has the possibility via panel controls to affect two of the most high-value modulation targets in DDS (each of them or separately) and the Filter, I think it’s redundant to have separate Bend + / Bend - as mod sources.

#3: Settings for envelope responses: Linear, Logarithmic, Exponential. Preferably this could be configured per ENV1/2 stage, so we could have exponential attack with logarithmic release. :sweat_smile:
Explanation: Somewhat exponential response can already be achieved with modulating the envelopes with ENV1 already, but it would be nice to have per stage response settings and more creative options.

#4: Settings for DDS2 Tune control to frequency-ratios of DDS1. I kind of love the Tune control already, but there could be a fun setting to force DDS2 to a frequency that is multiplied / divided ratio to DDS1 frequency. This would be great fun implemented together with #1. This might be not-feasible because of the way DDS2 resets on key press, but it’s an idea!

#5: Delay lo-fi mode! :fire: Increases the delay times by lowering the sample rate of the stored audio. There could be several settings “clean (Default 96kHz), medium lofi (~ 24kHz), lofi (12kHz), total destruction (6kHz)”
Explanation: Since the delay time is mostly limited by menory capacity, lowering the fidelity of the stored audio increases the possible time and gives people option to have a bit more characterful effect. It’s a win-win! Novation implemented this in the last big updates on Peak/Summit and I love the option.

Do you have any ideas for Boot drive config file? Let’s hear them!

8 Likes

@sntr thanks for sharing these insights they are very helpful to know what would be useful!

1 Like