"Catch up" mode support for Super 6? Feature idea/suggestion

Hello beautiful people! I love my Super 6 desktop, the best sounding synth ever!

I have a random feature suggestion. If you look at latest Eventide pedals (e.g. Blackhole), you’ll see they have so called “catch up” mode (when enabled), which does the following. If you turn a knob, nothing changes until the knob reaches the position it was in in currently loaded preset. They also use two LEDs to help finding that spot. On Super 6 they could be Chorus ones or Mix/AT for instance.

This allows to:

1. find knob position it was in when the preset was created (not a big issue for Eventide specifically as they have a great computer software to see all of this, but would be very useful for Super 6);
  2. prevent sound artifacts.

Thanks, and have a great day.

16 Likes

This is great and we have a new knob system on the roadmap @DDS please can you log these comments in upvoty thanks

6 Likes

Another option could be to have some kind of scaling option where the parameter starts to change as soon as you move a controller but where it doesn’t jump. If I’m not mistaken, I think that they’ve implemented something along these lines on the Novation Peak for example (even though I can’t remember exactly how it works).

2 Likes

@udo-audio any news on this being implemented on the next release?

I was about to post this same comment but then thought of scanning through the suggestions first :slight_smile:
I have a real-world use case here: I like making patches with high resonance (because the S6’s filter is awesome), but if I switch to a different preset with a different cutoff amount, changing the fader can become dangerous. For example, if a preset is soft and dreamy, but my resonance and filter cutoff were previously above 50%, adjusting it can result in a blast of audio. I thought maybe there could be a global setting to change this behavior from jump to catch-up, as OP defined it?

1 Like

Giving this another bump. I’m a potential super 6 owner that’s sort of researching its capabilities. I had just assumed the S6 already operated in the way that OP requests. I can’t think of any advantages of the current implementation.

It also seems like it would be almost trivial to change. Perhaps the S6 has been around long enough that they are worried some users would be miffed at the change in behavior of the synth?

The S6 definitely needs the three different controller modes (Immediate, Catch, and Relative Scaling). I would prefer Relative Scaling before Catch. Catch can be frustrating without a visual reference. Right now playing live jam sessions is often accompanied by heavy glitches and filter jumps, which makes the S6 controllers feel very digital.

2 Likes