Firmware update - release date

Also I am waiting for the firmware update because I want to choose the perfect MPE controller for my personal christmas present.
Soon, there is Superbooth 2021 in Berlin.
This would be a wonderful place to show SUPER 6 with firmware update including MIDI and MPE support.
Will UDO take part at Superbooth 2021?

2 Likes

Nice post with a heavy dose of suggestive insinuation.
Reminds me of that Monty Python sketch where the guy goes nudge nudge wink wink etc.

Seriously I know it’s august and udo is a small company etc but I am growing worried of the lack of communication regarding this topic.

2 Likes

I concur. I absolutely love this synth (and honestly the only one I truly felt connected to and inspired by) but there is some serious things that need be addressed. At least a status report would be greatly appreciated.

8 Likes

To me it is highly disappointing (as a client who payd
the full price) getting no status feedback at all and seeing in parallel “reviewers” advertising features like MIDI CC on YouTube.
Marketing seems to have a much higher priority than maintenance and support. :-1:
Looks as if they don’t have in mind that losing existing customers means selling less new stuff.

5 Likes

The last update about firmware status was on june 2nd in this forum, so nearly 3 months ago. Nothing was mentioned about MPE. It seems, they spent a lot of time overhauling the voice handling.

DDSModerator

2 Jun

Apart from having overhauled how the voices are being handled, we are currently working on a firmware release that’s going to make the Super 6 a much better team player in the studio, which includes full MIDI control (CC and NRPN receive and transmit) and USB MIDI. However, at this point I can’t provide you with an ETA yet, but rest assured that it’s definitely going to happen.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi everyone and thanks for all your support and patience with us over the last months. I can fully understand your frustration with delays in the firmware updates. When designing sounds, recording or simply playing an instrument, I don’t like to deal with bugs or any kind of undesired behaviour either. As a synth user myself, I wholeheartedly agree with everyone of you on what needs to and should get fixed. Moreover I can assure you that the whole team at UDO is just as disappointed as you about the fact that a proper follow-up to v0.26 hasn’t been released yet, not least myself personally.

As you are aware, UDO is a new company, we are a very small company, and at this early stage we are reliant not just on our employees but on the continued support and dedication and in stressful times, the resilience of many people. I myself have given everything I have, and continued to do so. Along with the usual struggles of a new venture, the personal toll of events such as the CoVid pandemic that coincided with our start of production, Brexit coming into effect January this year, now a global semiconductor supply crisis has tested the very limits of my resilience.

At times, like many others during this hard period, my mental health has suffered. As the senior engineer and firmware developer for the Super 6, despite my best efforts, I have at times simply been simply unable in myself to stand up and deliver what has to be done on time for our valued supporters and customers and I have been a little ashamed by this.
My colleagues have stood up around me and brought quality products and support, but they need me for the instruments firmware, and it is only me who has fallen short of timely performance. This said I have never stopped and I am not stopping now, rather I feel we are just getting started.

The effect of all this for our supporters is delays and waiting much longer for updates than you should, and for that I am truly sorry and ask for your continued patience. I am committed to the Super 6 for the long haul, an update is well under way and plenty of features are already implemented on our test unit. These include the already mentioned overhaul of how the voices are being handled, full MIDI CC and NRPN support, USB MIDI, variable pan spread, an enormous increase in knob & fader precision, reduced note latency, continuously variable HPF and a much tighter clock response among other things that all contribute to improving the feel, musicality and playing experience and I can’t wait to get it to you. Once this is released, the final features including MPE support will be embarked upon.

Please hang on in there with me and know that I am working every day to keep improving our loved instruments and thanks for taking time to listen.

Kind regards, George

Director UDO Audio LTD

31 Likes

Thanks for the update George, it all sounds amazing, and I can’t wait to try all the new features.

Yes, it’s been a tough time for everyone, and I hope you are also taking time for yourself and your family. Health comes first!

Yay! Please don’t stone me, but… Before Christmas? :wink:

You can stone me if it is anything even close to that long!

10 Likes

George, thank you for the update. It would be a tragedy, if you wake up one morning and cannot continue what you are doing now due to burn out. So take care!

BUT: From my experience, the task of a company director is to focus on new products, new features, to garantee profitability and prosperity. I know, in such very small companies, one person has several tasks. But you should really forward such a task to others or new employee as the future of the company is based on your creativity which might be impacted by such accumulation of tasks. As you said, the company will not make any money with only SUPER 6 and it would be a shame if new products are delayed.

For a small and young company, a strategy with many small updates will always be better than a big update every 4 or 6 months, George change your strategy…

2 Likes

Thanks for the update George. I really appreciate it. I can also relate with what you have being going through. I have been through a similar journey as the director of my own software development company. Going from 1 developer (me) to a team of 70+ people, nearly pushed me to the brink on more than one occasion! For your long-term health and that of your company, I advise you to start budgeting and recruiting for engineers. It will pay dividends in the end. You have created a truly unique and inspiring instrument. I am sure there are many people out there willing to help you complete its journey. Start searching for those people, and let them help you realise the full potential of the UDO Super 6, and beyond.

2 Likes

Wow, all those features sound great! I have faith in you and the rest of your team. The Super 6 is a keeper and I’m willing to wait for a solid update!

2 Likes

@udo-audio George thank you for getting back to us your passionate customers. I really feel for you and know exactly how you feel.

I may self have been in your shoes as a developer in a small company.

After 25 years of running teams and businesses know that you being the only dev is a short term solution and not scalable. The more tired you get the more mistakes you make which slows things down further.

Can I help be a BETA tester?

Could you possibly open up the code to a closed open source group and get passionate engineers to help you?

All the best and let us know how we can help you :raised_hands:.

Cheers Troy

1 Like

C’est une très bonne idée l’Open Source et ce serait d’une telle force pour ce synthé incroyable
Bon courage Georges

Awe, George, so sorry to hear that but it’s also vitally important that you look after yourself. The Super 6 is an absolutely amazing instrument and I think the vast majority of users would rather see a Healthy George doing Super Things, even if it takes a while longer, rather than burning yourself out which does no one any good in the long run. So take care of yourself first and even Superer Things will follow!

8 Likes

Thank you George for getting back to us. We needed to know what was going on. Hang in there, we are rooting for you! I know how stressful can be when you are running your own business and you’re wearing multiple hats. I hope you can get more hands and brains to help you soon. The last thing you want is for your passion project to turn against you and affect your health and business.
The features you mention are very exciting. I can’t wait for this new firmware!

1 Like

Stay in there George, I just spent half an hour noodling about on my Super 6 and it is truely an outstanding sounding synth. Look after yourself most importantly.

1 Like

Got the S6 both because it, to quote an Austrian youtuber, “ticks all the boxes”, and in a way is as an investment into a new company. As such, I understood it was going to be work in progress.

In addition, and to be fair, I think the updates were pretty frequent before we all entered the zombie apocalypse.

All in all, the list of upcoming features is totally on point - much encouragement to George!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update Georges.
Keep up with the good work. You know you have a great product and as you said yourself keep finding the courage to overcome the outside extremely disturbant events.
When things are bad, they can only become better :wink:
Sometimes it is also good to make a small Pause in order to recharge the brain and go even faster afterwards. People can understand delays when they are explained and communicated as you have done.
As a “bloody engineer” myself and also quite perfectionist I can only also recommend you to deliver in steps. Better several small steps every 3 months than a big one every 2 years (just an example).
I’m saying that but sometimes it is also difficult for myself. Hahaha…

Eagerly waiting for the full CC/NRPN implementation so I can complete the Super 6 editor panel.
Thx to all the UDO team for their work.

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree with the latest comments here!

1 Like