Microtuning ability

First, thanks for the forum and the feature wishlist sub, I think it will be a great way to make this already fantastic machine even better. I’ve seen a few users talking about it on various forums, what about adding the possibility for users to create custom micro tuning like in the Korg Monologue for example ?

10 Likes

Yes, this would be a fantastic addition to an already awesome machine.

2 Likes

Agree. Would be amazing!

1 Like

I emailed UDO a few weeks ago to register my request. It’s nice to have the forum so that we can all get feedback from the devs at one go.

2 Likes

Full microtuning implementation would be great, we need the possibility to set any key to any frequency so every tuning possibilities would be possible if that make sense ?

I was planning to use my LinnStrument (200 pads) as an external controller for microtunings. A conventional keyboard is just too unwieldy for 19 or more EDO. I thought if UDO provides any given microtuning mapped over MIDI notes 0-127, then that would provide more than 4 octaves of 31-EDO.

Korg managed to implement it on a basic 25 keys monosynth so I don’t see why it would be unwieldy on a 4 octaves keyboard… full microtuning ability should be a basic feature of every modern synth IMO
Also, not all of us are owners of a linnstrument.

I mean unwieldy to play. The piano’s black/white pattern makes it a challenge to keep track of what note you’re on, in what register. Isomorphic controllers help a lot in this context, like a Novation pad or Polyend’s Medusa perhaps.

I’d love to have microtuning for this machine, even just the ability to load different scala files would make for some fantastic experiments

1 Like

Can anyone point me to any electronic music that has been made using microtuning? I’ve never needed or wanted it, or heard any. My Wavestation EX had microtuning back in 1992, but I never saw the point/understood the need. Genuinely curious as to what can be achieved/why people feel it’s so important. Musical examples would be great.

1 Like

Obviously, but there’s many more

1 Like

With MPE support it can be supported externally with midi devices like Blokas Midihub - which supports tranformation with scala files. You´ll need a master keyboard though. Native support would be super if the synth allows for it.

Its not just Aphex Twins sour notes that benefit from microtonal support. Historical early music and non-western music also require this as explained quite elegantly in this video.

2 Likes

Cheers, I know about the historical and acoustic use, Just Intonation, Gamelan, Lubomyr Melnik, 48 notes scales etc., just wondering about electronic use and why so many people are asking for this. The two examples posted so far are nice, they don’t sound “wrong” in any way to my ears, so they are using “between Western notes” notes, like in some Indian classical music?

3 Likes

Was just about to post a bit of Perälä :slight_smile:

1 Like

Big fan of the man :wink:

Quoting a post from the Gearslutz forum, because I think this would be the perfect way to implement microtuning, just need to find a workaround for the absence of screen :

“I agree about the lack of menus and screens being a selling point: immediacy, intuitiveness, a more concentrated focus on sound and using one’s ears when programming, all of these things are a big plus to me. On the other hand, I would really love to see full microtonal editing implemented, and it seems to be the most requested feature on their new forum, which is encouraging even in its early days. I think this feature - which has been implemented well on synths from Korg, Novation, and Kodamo - really benefits from having a screen and menus for adjusting the tuning of each note in a scale in cents, and also for selecting root notes for predetermined tunings like Just Intonation and its variants. A software editor would be great for something like this, or maybe it can even be done in the same utility that is currently used to store patches and upload new waveforms on the S6.”

A track can use microtonality without sounding “out of tune” you’re just using intervals that are smaller than semitones .

I created an account just to add another voice to this request. I would have bought a Super 6 this winter but the lack of microtuning means I couldn’t use it for 99% of the projects I do.

The Surge team have released a C++ implementation for microtunings that can be used directly or as a template for how to do it. So there’s really going to be no excuse for this feature being missing in new digitally-controlled synths in the future. It’s MIT licensed so fine to use as-is or modified in a commercial product.

A new tuning could be uploaded via MIDI SysEx without a software assistant if necessary; that’s how the ASM folks added it to Hydrasynth. Not ideal but good enough. I bought a Hydra as soon as the firmware upgrade came out.

I’m cannot wait to receive a beautiful blue Udo next week, and I fully support this request for microtuning. I don’t know how you could implement it, but it would be lifting this synth into a future classic even more.

MTS Realtime Per-Key sysex would be better than a bulk dump because then you can change a key’s tuning on the fly. For example, you can do this on a Waldorf Kyra.

2 Likes