Microtuning ability

Is MTS or tuning tables or any microtuning ability on the roadmap? Been really hoping for a firmware update bringing this ability. Would give this fantastic synth more depth!

1 Like

Even more important than that would be a fine tune control for DDS2, at least for me.

1 Like

My Juno-60 with Tubbutec midi mod has the ability to import up to 4 scales from Scala, which works well, regardless of the lack of screen and the fact that it is a mod for an existing synth.
I don’t use it often though. Just chiming in here to say it would be a nice future feature :slight_smile:

I agree, but MPE would be enough to implement micro tuning, via vst. You could use ODDSOUND for that. Also, MTS would be nice to be implemented

1 Like

Beautiful music.
Thanks for sharing

scala support would be well good…

Does anyone use their S6 with Ableton? There is a Max 4 Live device for doing microtunings, and it is pretty full featured (you can load scala files, adjust individual pitches by cents, morph between two scales, and other cool stuff). I want to try it but can’t seem to find a manual for the device online and all of the video tutorials use the device with a soft-synth, so there is no step by step guide on using it with an external instrument. Also, you have to set the pitch-bend range of the device so that it corresponds with the synth you are using. The only two values for that range are 24 or 48, and I do not know which to choose for the S6. Anyways, I’m just curious if anyone has used this microtuner device with their S6 and if so how did it go?

Yeps indeed, another supporter here. please make it happen.

Still hoping microtuning will be implemented!

3 Likes

+1
As most violin player I am sensitive to just intonation and sometimes some electronic music sounds out of tune to me , when using equal temperament minor scales especially

1 Like

Hi ? still no new about microtunnig? will it happen one day?

Sadly no news on microtuning. Would be great.

just using my first comment here to bump this up. I just ordered the Blokas MIDIhub top enable me to easily switch between alternate temperaments on strictly 12TET synths via set pitch bend messages, and this means that my Super 6 desktop and various monos should be sorted, BUT now with this Gemini…

The Super Gemini seems like my absolute dream for a keyboard polysynth and I’ve switched off the idea of buying an Osmose to save for a Gemini but for one thing: if controlling with the built in keyboard I can’t trick the oscillators with the Blokas hub (or probably could with silly routing), and the ability to escape 12TET is really essential in anything where the keyboard and synth are a single unit.

Considering that the familiarity with and demand for microtonal playing possibilities are growing, this is really something the team should consider and I really hope that more people chime in here as this is really the one thing the Gemini seems to have overlooked (and would of course be wonderful for the Super 6 also).

1 Like

Just joined the forum to request this feature. I’ve been looking into doing it through Ableton’s microtuner and MPE, but I believe using MPE locks the device to binaural mode and it would be great to have 12 voices available in alternate tunings.

+1 it would great to have native support.

I am also a fan of alternate tunings and would love to see this implemented natively, so adding my voice to this. I’m very excited by the prospect of the Gemini and just in the process of completing preorder with Thomann - I figure where there’s a will there’s a way but as I say: would love to see it supported. Just ability to load .scl and .kbm files would be super sixsixsix sevensevenseven and all the rest of it.

I was just having a look at the Super 6 manual actually, pleased to see how fully featured the midi spec is for those times I might want to fiddle about or sequence or maybe make some sort of ‘manager’ in pure data or something… anyway I noticed RPN 1 & 2 do ‘channel tuning’ fine/course - what’s that about? Could it work in the mean time? Of course sending pitchbend messages is pretty straight forward too.

In response to Greg: yeah I’ve not heard much apart from knowing Aphex was always fond of it. Of course there’s early electronic music pioneers like Wendy Carlos. Now-a-days there’s Sevish. Dude called Acreil who wiz a bit of a puredata wizard made some really fun generative stuff in all sorts of weird tunings. It seems to be more and more popular, or at least talked about, but not sure if anyone’s really making good use of it yet (whatever that might be). For my part I’m just curious about the theory and definitely sensitive to the different effects - I play around with a meantone tuning quite a lot at the moment and having those perfect thirds and flattened fifths really pleases me somehow. The supers seem really quite harmonic to me, somehow, and reckon this would be a little bit more icing on another cherry on the corking cracker lovely.

After recent research I see that the standard UDO should implement is this one: The MIDI Association - MIDI Tuning (Updated Specification)

Already standard - though not widely used - midi spec, well on its way to broader support most notably from the software side via these guys: https://oddsound.com/

Dynamic per note retuning on the fly you might not think you need it but we do!

Thanking you very much in advance for being so darn visionary :wink:

Not just Oddsound these days, also https://infinitone.com and https://entonal.studio

Most of these options do allow the same functionality via MPE instead if required, so thats my fallback option if the Super 6 never gets MTS support. And Ableton have in Live 12 reworked their microtuning system (which uses MPE) to be built in at a core level rather than only via a Max for Live device. But I know someone pointed out earlier in this thread that on the Super 6 you are limited to Binaural mode only when using MPE.

1 Like

+1 One more bump for microtuning.

This is why we build instruments with expansive capabilities; we don’t know what music it will open up. I wonder even how pop music may change. Listening to what people do with our instruments constantly surprises and inspires us. It opens up new worlds.