Super 6 Desktop and Roli Seaboard - Slide

Hi guys,

This question is aimed to anyone who uses the Super 6 (desktop version in my case) controller with a Seaboard.
After setting the Seaboard dashboard software as recommended in the video (Hazel showcased the settings) and activating MPE mode, everything reacts as it should with one exception.
Slide (Y axis) is not affecting the filter in any way.

I tried this on an init patch. Is there any setting on the patch itself that needs to be added for this to work? Maybe I should make an entry on the modulation matrix?

Cheers,
Agustin

1 Like

Hi again,

After going through the manual I finally find what the missing bit is. Basically, in my desktop version, the global setting to receive parameters changes as CC was not enabled by default.
Thus, after activating it, the issue was solved. Now my UDO responds to midi transmitted CCs (both in MPE mode and standard midi mode).

To enable this option you have to:
Go to TX/RX E (Shift-W10) to enter the midi parameters changes section; the second button (W2) has to be solid light to enable receiving CC messages.

Hopefully this info is of use to anyone.
Agustin

1 Like

Hi - I’m also not having much success with setting my roli seaboard.
I’m not necessarily aiming for MPE as it requires a computer :thinking:
But poly aftertouch is something I am definitely interested in.
Using a Roli Seaboard and can get slide and glide to work but no pressure, no vibrato and no poly aftertouch. I have the TX/RX E setting set to the second lit light.
Any tips / suggestions?
Thanks

Hi @focalsounds ,

Before I jump on the questions, just a comment. MPE on the Seaboard does not require a computer. You only need the computer to enable or disable it (through the ROLI dashboard for sure). But once you set the seaboard to MPE, all the settings are saved on the controller, and thus you can use it without a computer. I actually use the seaboard hooked up to the UDO through the MIDI jack.
Only if you need to switch between MPE and non MPE synths, then yes, the computer will become necessary to switch the Seaboard out and into MPE mode. It would be nice if we had an MPE, MIDI mode button on the Seaboard itself.

If the Seaboard and UDO are on MPE mode, you have poly aftertouch enabled. Thus, I am assuming your issue is that you do not have the AT connected to anything.

On the Desktop version of the UDO you have a connection provided, in the LFO2 section, which enables vibrato to Aftertouch at the rate of the LFO, and intensity set with the mod amount to taste.
To control anything else you need to make an entry in the modulation matrix. AT is the W5 entry.

So, if you are only interested in vibrato through poly AT, and you have the desktop version, you make sure both lights are up on the mode button of the LFO 2. Also, the DDS I and II buttons have to be enabled. Finally, press and hold the DDS I II button and turn the amount knob to set the desired intensity of the pre-established connection.
The init patch brings this connection by default.

Now, if you have the keyboard version of the UDO (which at this point I’m assuming you do, based on the issue you are facing), the vibrato is routed by default to the bender stick and AT. The rate defined by the LFO2 Rate and the intensity you define by pushing on the stick I guess (checking the manual).
Thus, you have to set the control section to AT + TRIG mode. The manual states that the great effect takes precedence between the two (between the bender and the AT).
What I do not know (since I do not own the keyboard version), is whether the fact that the bender is mono channel, this connection will stop poly AT from being applied to vibrato (and will make it work as mono channel as well). But since the firmware is the same for both units, I don’t think this will be the case.

Let me know if this was the answer to your question.

Personally, I prefer to wiggle my finger to get vibrato on the seaboard, so I don’t route AT to vibrato.
I usually route Poly AT to the Env amount of the VCF and the VCA Env level. In this way, when I press harder any key, I will get a slightly brighter sound with a higher volume. This is, ofc, an homage to the CS80 which allowed you to apply poly AT to these two parameters with the levers.

Best wishes,
Agustin

1 Like

Hi @Agustin1756 , thank you for your detailed reply.

Regarding the MPE and whether or not a computer/daw is required.
According to this video from UDO.
It requires a DAW to route all 16 channels correctly to Super 6.
I did think this was weird at first for the S6 was meant to be MPE compatible and the Sea Board has these settings saved on the device as you pointed out.

If this is the case - then sure! I’d be very interested in utilising MPE.

I do have the keyboard version yes. I have the AT routed to VCF for a simple example but I am not getting any AT at all - even on the physical S6 key bed. So I’m assuming there is another setting I am missing. LFO 2 is set up correctly to AT+TRIG

I usually have the LOCAL set to off as I use it as a master keyboard that then routes back to the S6 via midi routing in my 1010music Black Box when needed. I have tried it with LOCAL On and Off but same result.

I have the Seaboard Blocks in case that makes a difference but I don’t believe it does.
I can effect the Filter Cutoff with Slide (Y) action. But this remains as mono/global from last played note only… Not Polyphonic AT. Which I would like.

Basically - whether using MPE or not. I am aiming to achieve Poly Aftertouch on pressure to assigned to “whatever” … Slide to effect Filter Cutoff Polyphonically.
Side wobble to effect VCA or Pitch (vibrato) as you described …and glide to slide up and down the pitch - again polyphonically.

I welcome any further thoughts and I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in.
Thank you

Hi again,

My apologies. I have the Seaboard Rise 2, which comes with midi out via mini din (which is precisely why I bought the Rise 2, since the original one doesn’t come with midi out other than usb or wireless).
To be clear, is not that you need the computer for the 16 channels. It is needed to serve has a bridge between the UDO and the Seaboard.

Now. On to the good news. Even if you have the block version, you should still be able to connect it without the computer. But you will need an USB-MIDI host device. In this video Loopop goes over how to achieve it.
Whether you use it as MPE or standard midi makes no difference for the connectivity, since the underlying transfer protocol is still MIDI, which has remained the same for ages.
Finally, you can also do it wirelessly. But I do not fancy having my phone used as a bridge. I would go for the USD MIDI Host instead.

I just checked the 1010 Black Box. I see in the official forums that it does not support MPE. And if I understand correctly, you are using the Black Box as the USB bridge between the UDO and the Seaboard.
At this point, I think the issue is the Black Box (at least, under its current firmware).

Could you connect the Seaboard and the UDO through the computer to test if this is correct? You will need to map them in a DAW. Ideally using a DAW which is MPE compatible. If you don’t have one, Cakewalk from BandLab is free and supports MPE.

Cheers,
Agustin

1 Like

@Agustin1756 thank you again.
The Rise 2 would ideal yes. ÂŁÂŁÂŁ all this stuff :slight_smile:

That Loopop video has been my guide so far. But he is not setting up MPE. Just single channel control. Though he does achieve all 5 dimensions of touch/movement so I’m sure it’s possible.

I’m also aware the BlackBox does not support MPE. Though I am not trying to achieve MPE… Just Polyphonic aftertouch and the 5D movements. I would then assume any Midi Host is fine - including the Black Box. Though i could be mistaken?

If I get the time to try it via a DAW (which I’d have to download as you point out) I will but hopefully I can get to the bottom of it without that. Though it’s looking doubtful.
Thank you for the suggestions.

I’ll keep you posted here.
Cheers mate

Hi again,

I did a couple of experiments on my end.

I just hooked my Hydrasynth through a MIDI splitter to the UDO. I’ve set both to standard MIDI, channel 1, but set the Hydrasynth to send Poly AT.
The result is that the UDO init patch, responded to Poly AT on standard MIDI just fine (not MPE).
And actually, if you have the UDO set to MPE, but the controller keyboard to MIDI, the UDO will still respond since its listening to all channels in MPE mode.

Additionally, I did the same with the Seaboard and realised that, in MPE mode, Poly AT is part of MPE, and thus, is not even an option in the Roli Dashboard. But, if you set the Seaboard to MIDI Mode: Single Channel, then an option for Press Mode becomes available. By default it is set to Channel Pressure, and thus, will not transmit Poly AT. Therefore, you have to switch it to Poly Aftertouch. After doing so, even in Single Channel midi, the Seaboard sends Poly AT data and the UDO receives it just fine.

So, I recommend to set your Seaboard to Single Channel Midi Mode and Poly Aftertouch Press Mode. And give it a try using the 1010 as you normally would.

If this mode works, and it doesn’t work in MPE mode, then you know the 1010 is getting in the way of the MPE data from the Seaboard.

Best wishes,
Agustin

1 Like

Hi @Agustin1756
Great test to do and thank you for taking the time.

Basically that’s how I have been setting it up within Roli Dashboard.
I’ve had it set to Single Channel sending Poly Aftertouch the whole time.

So this tells me that the 1010Music BB is not capable of receiving/sending Poly Aftertouch. Maybe not even AT in general. I used to have a Kenton Midi Host box that has gone missing - but this worked with all sorts of synths and the sea board.

My conclusion is that the BB is not playing ball. I might re-invest in a decent midi host / hub / router to future proof such ideas and set ups.

Thanks for all your time and input here. Much appreciated.

Hi @focalsounds ,

Most welcome!

Maybe, a new firmware on the BB will come with Poly AT? Might as well check what is in the pipeline!

Cheers!

1 Like

we live in hope.
many updates to the BB but always brings new bugs and lost features.

@Agustin1756 Hello again, have you got any examples (video or audio) of how the Seaboard and Super 6 integrate together. It’s astonishing how little material is out there considering the S6 receves both PolyAftertouch and MPE.

Many thanks

So I have managed to be able to get this to work with my seaboard block.
Though only through a Kenton Midi Host. I have tried this with a BlackBox (no luck) and with a Squarp Hapax (only some controls worked - no glide and glitchy everywhere else)

The thing is, I’d like to be able to have my Hapax connected to S6 for sequencing. I’ve been playing with configurations but it seems MPE only works on the S6 (for me) when using the MIDI DIN IN Port via the Kenton Host.

Any suggestions?
Many thanks