ARP Not Responsive in ABLETON After I Stop Track

Is anyone having issues with the arp? I have to keep restarting my Super 6 every time I want to use the arp in Ableton. For some reason when I stop the track from playing midi or just want to HOLD the arp and jam… the super 6 LOCKS up and I don’t hear any audio unless I turn OFF arp. I am not able to get it going again unless I turn off the super 6 and back on again… causing me to lose the patch I created and just overall kill my creativity. Is there a solution to this?

If you are syncing to the ableton (or other DAW) midi clock, and the song is stopped, the midi clock generally also stops, and the synth arp stops accordingly. I think ableton can be configured to “run clock in stopped mode” so you can continue to play the arpeggiator in stopped mode. @DDS please can you confirm where ableton has this option? I only know how to do it in cubase!

3 Likes

That’s not an option in Ableton Live.

ok… so is there a solution?

Different DAW (cubase allows it for example as I’m sure others will) or a separate clock generator to drive both the Daw and synth(s).

We can look at “freewheeling” the arp at the last tempo when midi clock is removed in a future update but this may not be how many would want / expect behaviour so we’d have to see about this before looking to move to this approach.

im sorry, maybe my post was confusing.

Arp is no longer responding once I stop Ableton. The entire instrument freezes UNLESS I reboot it. If I change patches and turn on arp, it doesn’t respond. If I load up Ableton while the synth is already on, it won’t read midi unless I restart. There seems to be an issue here. Not sure how to work around it without constantly turning my synth off which isn’t fun. especially when I lose the patch

I know this is a while ago. I’m also not saying there isn’t a bug here.

This kind of behavior in my experience happens with MIDI looping back on itself. You basically end up overloading the buffer because of the infinite loop. Can lead to all kinds of lock ups, glitches, and freezing.

Make sure to double check that you don’t have some kind of MIDI loop happening. A good way to avoid it is to turn local mode off on the synth. Yes you have latency by monitoring though the software, but you can’t loop back on accident then.

I ran into this issue as well. I disliked having to re boot when it froze. I was using it through USB. Now I only use USB for updates. I ended up getting a 8x8 MIDI sport with a panic button on it. I know Bitwig has a panic button and I believe logic does too. Ableton, sadly does not. They have really fallen off badly the last five years. I found having a panic ability on the daw or midi interface does the job. It does freeze from time to time still, just not as often with panic button.

Hello

I just had the same issue with my brand new Super 6 Desktop running firmware 0.53 : The arpegiator suddenly stopped to work until I reboot the Super 6.

But in my case, the Super 6 is not connected to a DAW, but to a Arturia Keystep 37 via MIDI DIN.
The Keystep 37 clock is set to internal and I do not used the Keystep internal arpegiator.

:unamused:

Note : If I turn off the arpegiator, the Super 6 works again, but as sson as I turn it on, the Super 6 does not play.

I had the same problem with the exact same setup. Hit shift and sync (EXT CLK) and check if all 4 LEDs are blinking (patch numbers 1-4). I suppose yours is on Number 2 (LED steady). If so press 2 again so it blinks as well and you are fine again. To put it in other words all 4 LEDs should blink. At least this works for me.

page 3 of the MANUAL ADDENDUM (V0.52) explains all the EXT CLK (External MIDI Clock Settings) options in more detail

Hello waxdoctor.

Thank you for your reply. :yum:

I checked the LED : all 4 LED are blinking.
This morning the arpegiator “is working”, but I can’t sync it to my Keystep 37.

I set the Super 6 to send MIDI clock signal (LED 1 steady), and the Keystep 37 jumpers to MIDI, but the Keystep 37 does not reveice the clock from the Super 6.

Regards

Hi, I’m just a new S6D user/beginner so please bear with me if I point out anything wrong, I’m just sharing my own experiences here :slight_smile:

But in your first post you wrote:
The Keystep 37 clock is set to internal and I do not used the Keystep internal arpegiator.

And now you mentioned:
…but the Keystep 37 does not reveice the clock from the Super 6

What exactly do you want to achieve?

Hello waxdoctor

You are right. In my second message it is another, where the Super 6 is the “clock master” :slight_smile:

Also I tried another test :slight_smile: (Keystep is the “clock master”)

1. Set the Super 6 to “Receive MIDI clock” (LED 2 steady)
  2. Set the Keystep 37 MIDI jumpers to “Internal clock”
  3. Turn on ARP on Super 6 → No sound :nauseated_face:
  4. Turn on ARP (press PLAY) on KeyStep 37 → Both Super 6 and KeyStep 37 and their internal ARP.
    So do not understand how to tell Super 6 to sync to Keystep 37, while Keystep 97 does not sent the transport signal (PLAY is on).

Perhaps Super 6 and Keystep 37 lock sync method are not compatible ?

Hi again,

with EXT CLK setting on 2:
…the Super 6 will respond to MIDI Start and MIDI Stop messages…

So the S6D will only start with a MIDI Start message, which you then send when you press play on the key37.

So it depends on what you want.

If you only want to use the key37 to send midi notes but want to use the entire functionality of the S6’s internal arp, then you normally want to set it @EXT CLK to all settings off (all LEDs blinking)

This was my experience with it. But then you have to take care not to press the midi start/pause on the key37 again because that somehow sets the S6D again on EXT CKL 2 etc.

For the last few days, I have had my S6D set on the 4 blinking LEDs @EXT CKL and it works for me, though I take care not to press the start/pause on the key37.

Hope that makes any sense :smile:

Also, I hope more experienced users here can jump in and correct me in case I write BS, thanks!

Plus here some notes from the MANUAL ADDENDUM (V0.52) page 3 again, which explains exact what happens…

Keep in mind that when you enable MIDI clock receive, the arpeggiator or sequencer won’t
respond for as long as no MIDI clock signal is being received.

The Super 6 automatically switches to MIDI clock receive if it detects one. You can disable
this setting after it’s detected, or choose not to send MIDI clock signals from an external
sequencer or a DAW to the Super 6 to enable arpeggiator or sequencer playback regardless
of external clock signals.

1 Like

Hi, trying not to repeat too much of the tips already mentioned above but just want to add a few general additional tips.

• as mentioned here, link, in many cases the clock source needs to have it’s sequencer on in order for the clock to send, i.e. if using a DAW the track must be playing, if using another synth as a clock then it must have an active sequencer running. There are also settings to enable an always running clock source, probably a quick Google search can provide the steps to do that.
  • on the receiving synth, doublecheck that it is set up to receive midi clock.
  • test the behavior of the situation by swapping in different devices to help root cause the issue and determine if it is the settings on the clock send side versus the clock receive side.

Let us know if you get it working according to plan.

Hello waxdoctor, hello JimmyM,

Yes, I would have liked to use the KeyStep 37’s clock (because the Kepstep’s LED display shows the tempo value) and the Super 6’s arpeggiator. But unfortunately the Keystep only sends the clock signal when the transport is activated. I cannot find the setting on KeyStep 37 (via Arturia MIDI Control Center) to send the clock all the time.

And as it didn’t work, I tried the other way : that the Super 6 sends its clock to Keystep 37 (so that Keystep 37 shows the tempo value on its screen so I can fine-tune it), but the Keyustep 37 doesn’t receive the clock from the Super 6 and I don’t know Why. :thinking:

It doesn’t matter. I’d rather be playing music than trying to get these two machines to communicate together. :smile:

Thank you both for your help.

Regards

Laurent

2 Likes

Hi @Denony ,
I’ve now tried to receive the midi clock from the S6D to the KS37 but also without any luck.
So I guess either I do something wrong, or the EXT CKL mode 1 on the S6D is buggy.
Although, when I hook up other gear(sending midi clock out (via DIN)) to the Keystep 37 it works like a charm.
The tempo is correctly displayed on the ks37 and also the transport messages don’t get mixed up.
But that doesn’t help you with your problem :slight_smile: I just wanted confirm that part.
Have a great evening/day and have fun playing music.