Brand New Super Gemini strange malfunction.....did I get a Dud?

Yes its all very early, I suppose, to draw any conclusions. The fact that its taken ME a week has more to do with the New Years holiday (UDO was closed), than “bad service/support”. Indeed they have been communicative since they got to me. Still waiting for final details however.

Andertons on the other hand has been poor in communication. Still trying to get some acknowledgement from them!

Lets keep the faith, and I am sure one way or another this will get sorted out. But I do think its fair to warn prospective buyers to be aware of this issue, if there is no quick or remote fix for it, and its a possible defect on brand new double boxed units, right out of the box. All I did was settle in for the joy and excitement of opening my new delivery…plugging it in…and hitting a few keys…and…OH NO! Still stuck in that cloud of disappointment as of today, a week later.

This is unfortunate to hear of issues. Ours is set to arrive Monday, I imagine it’s from the same batch as echo44 as my dealer is located in Detroit MI.

WOW…that issue with the dead keyboard keys is shocking. And yes, the sonic distortion after the synth jumps by itself into edit mode is exactly what I am experiencing, as you saw in my last video. Here is another video showing the anomaly:

I have bought from that dealer as well in Michigan yet they were sold out of their first batches, lucky a dealer here in Chicago who is an absolutely amazing shop “Rock and Roll Vintage” Received one unit a day ago.They have been amazing support wise, which is reassuring!! They also repair vintage synths so I trust them if it is an easy fix!

I know that shop great people. Its interesting the same exact issue is effecting multiple units. Curios if Ron had dead keys as well.

No dead keys here. Only the sonic distortions when the unit jumps autonomously from patch mode into edit mode. But…if indeed it all is related to “bad connections” internally…this sounds like it might mean bad ribbon cable connections…or possibly bad solder connections…then I can see how a poorly connected keybed might be just a susceptible as a poorly connected pot or slider or switch (or bank of them) to a fault. This all seems like either manufacturing defects/failures…or shipping issues where connections are coming loose en route.

The dead keys was just a result of me using the upper level outputs when I use the mix output I am not having that problem maybe it is related to how the keyboard is mapped ? I am not sure how a loose cable can result in the issues we are having?

Interesting thank you. Those ribbon connectors are usually tough to get loose as they have a retention clip. It’s odd that these somehow passed QC seems likely this was present at packing. Seems unlikely a shipping issue to me. Especially in Ron’s case as Andertons is not far from UDO yet resulted in the same exact issue.

I agree doesn’t seem like the behavior you would see with a loose cable?

Thats odd. When you demonstrated it in your video, the synth was in performance mode. You demonstrated the init patch, and some keys were not triggering notes. In performance mode, you have three options…Single/Split/Layer. In split mode, you might have one layer going to the bottom of the keybed, and another going to the top. You can select the split point. But in your demonstration, the dead keys were intermixed with other keys. There is no such key mapping on the SG. In single mode all keys play, and in dual layer mode, all keys play. Its only in Split mode that you could map keys…and only one split point…not multiples. So…all of this DOES (to me) sound like it could be a bad connection inside the unit. I can imagine that the keybed is connected to the main board via a ribbon cable. Those typically come in 16 conductor, or 20 conductor, sometimes 32 conductor. You can imagine that certain keys are connected to one of those conductors, and if the connection is not flush, you might have odd keys (depending on how they are wired up to the ribbon) missing the connection. Now you say its not happening from the mix outputs, but only from the layer outputs. That tells me its NOT the keybed ribbon cable…but some other fault in the main board, which is directing voices to the outputs. THAT sounds like its connected to the core distortion problem we are having…which pretty clearly is a voice problem. I am just spit-balling here of course. But it could be that certain voice cards are not sounding, or triggering. That could explain why one key sounds, and the key just next to it does not sound. Voice allocation.

I have learned from support that the UK distributor for UDO is HandinHand, a third party distributer. So I am not sure that the location of UDO corporate office is relevant to the travel distance of these packages. Not sure where the warehouse is, it may be a farther distance than you think. Agree once a ribbon is clipped its usually on there for life, but if it was never clipped flush…then that may be the problem. These things may not be assembled by hand, and thus it could be a automation failure which never clipped those ribbon(s) flush. It could also be that a “bad connection” refers to a circuit connection, whether solder or clip-on. If you have a single slider or switch that is not flush connected, then that component may be sending an event message to the main board, causing the synth to jump into edit mode on its own, even though it was never manually touched or manipulated. It’s just a bad circuit. It could be something like that.

It would be interesting to know whether UDO support has had other instances of this same issue or if its been isolated to these 2 units so far.

There are 4 separate units reported in this very thread. pswanson amj echo44 ronf

Has anyone received an update from UDO for possible fix?

UDO is trying to arrange a shipment of my unit for repair. I am in discussion with support, and last message is they are waiting to hear confirmation from repair vendor. Hope to have that info later today.

Mine just arrived, and unfortunately, mine is doing the same thing. Such a disappointment I was very excited about this. Thank you for everyone that posted above to even give me a heads up to what to look for. I went and tested it and it’s doing exactly the same thing. I’m not sure exactly what to do. Maybe possibly just send it back to the store but I’m not sure if anymore I’m gonna be like this if I ask another one. Any advice would help thank you.

So sorry you have to deal with this!!!
My solution from support was it needed to be repaired at a service center. . Luckily I bought it from a great dealer and they are going to refund my purchase. I hope the issue gets fixed quickly

Wow…ok then. Definitely starting to manifest itself as a real production problem. So sorry to hear this!

So I got the super Gemini today, excited like a little boy at Christmas just to find out that it seems all the ones from this latest production batch at least the ones coming to America all have something wrong with them. I’m not saying this is not an incredible keyboard, it sounds amazing, but for some reason the presets jump to some other altered preset in the middle of playing or even if you leave it on without touching any knobs to change the preset. I saw on the UDO forum that so far five people have posted this issue.If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I posted a video to show you what happens. Just wait for it till the end, there are no pedals plugged in neither to cause any kind of program change. So just a heads up for anyone who’s getting one from this recent batch or in America that this could be an issue for you I do hope it isn’t, but if it is, we all seem to have that problem. My gratitude to everyone that posted here to even make me aware. This would be an issue within five minutes. This happened after opening it from the box I let it warm up and everything I’ve initiated a return. I would like to get another one, but one that work! Thank you all happy new year.

:camera_flash: Look at this post on Facebook Redirecting...

I think your #7 so far this situation is really unfortunate.