Custom waves

Wish there exists a little programm as a support for preparing custom waves. That would be great. At least a short explanation on how to prepare a proper wave-file for Super6 would be very helpful.

hereā€™s a tutorial on creating your own waveforms for Super 6.

1 Like

You can use this editor to create and export waveforms, then use Audacity to save them in the correct format.

Single Cycle Waveform Web Editor (sheetsofsound.com)

A friend of mine converted all the Prophet VS waves to S6 format for me, but I am not sure of the copyright legalities there so canā€™t share.

1 Like

+1 @HermetechMastering recommending Single Cycle Waveform Web Editor. I have code I run in a software program called MATLAB where I can read in ws6 waveform files as well as to write waveforms out in the same format. I have already created a number of interesting (to me at least) waveforms in MATLAB, but my problem is that I havenā€™t received my synth yet, but have taken my foot off the gas pedal on developing anything that could be massed shared.

The format of the ws6 file is relatively straight forward

• 4096 samples
  • int16 data
  • Stored as a headerless wav file.

However, I do agree that a UDO Super 6 specific waveform generator tool would be useful indeed. That and a patch editor. When I get my synth (some day :)), I was going to poke around with some ideas I have in this regards.

1 Like

I just noticed in the FAQ section a section on custom waveforms

Good to know about the band-limiting info as that will definitely help moving forward when creating novel waveforms based on circular arcs, squircles, and super ellipse profiles.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering about the band-limiting requirement. Doesnā€™t a reconstruction filter after the DAC take care of aliasing anyway?

I did try some of your circular waves in my S6 a couple of weeks ago, sounded good. I really hope you get yours before Xmas!

Good to know :slight_smile: Loopop mentioned it would be a good enhancement to be able to wavetable-like scan over the 16 user waves and I agree. The circular waveform would be one way of scanning from say a sine wave to a square wave. The squircle formula takes care of intermediate shapes between a circle and a square

Just need to figure out intermediate forms between sine and circle, etc. Of course, elementary waveforms sound a lot more interesting in my opinion when mucked with a bit, so that will also be interesting experimentations to be had in that regard. Always something to learn about I suppose.

Along the same vein, I just acquired a H6 zoom recorder and going to use it to record guitar + eBow wave forms and see what pops out.

1 Like

Yeah, not a DSP schooled person myself. I get the general principle of band limiting, but not so much when it comes down to practical matters at hand. One interesting thing that George mentioned in his SonicState visit with Nick is that there is very limited band limiting going on. It was a passing comment so not quite sure in what context he was referring to there.

Over the coming up holiday break I want to learn more about this and will modify code scripts I am using to create waveforms to also look at the FFT of the signal to learn more. Serum has this capability, but I believe it only supports up to 2048 sample waveforms.

OK now Iā€™m really intrigued by this. One of you needs to make a tutorial on making custom waves with the software you mentioned :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think he was referring to the use of FPGA. Since it works at 50MHz, any band-limiting happens way outside the audio range.

If we do need to band limit the waveforms, we could upsample Serum waveforms.
The result should be the same.
In digital audio only two samples are needed to represent the highest available frequency. Per UDO specification the highest frequency would be divided by 4, so it would use 8 samples. Upsampling Serum waveforms x2 and then band limiting would yield the same result.

Hey super6ā€™ers. I have used this programme by Ess (who designed the Elektron Digitone) to create some cool single cycle waveforms and export in the appropriate length and samplerate for the synth. I then renamed the file extension to .ws6 in finder (seems a bit rudimentary I know) but put a few onto the S6 drive and they worked! The ā€˜hardcore appā€™ can make some particularly cool waveforms. Give it a go

3 Likes

Very easy, use the online tool I posted a link to earlier, spend some time getting to know it, make your waveform in 4096 points, export it as a .wav, load it into Audacity, export it in the S6 format (also described above) as a .wav, rename it .ws6 and load it into your S6.

I made a reverse sawtooth this way, good for LFO use for Vox Starstreamer/Repeater style sounds when applied to filter or VCA.

these apps are actually pretty cool and easy to use. They also have an auto-generator, which is a good place to start. The computer keyboard keys let you audition the waveform.
It would be very easy for the developers to add S6 export.

2 Likes

What about sampling actual waveforms from other synth sources for instance?

just use Audacity to trim any wav file and export.

I heard that when importing new user waves into the Super-6 that any patches that use the old waveforms will still keep a copy of that waveform available to them. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so is there a limit on how many waves could eventually be loaded? In other words could you wind up with 128 waves in there - one for each patch?

Thanks.

Yes, this is correct. Every patch remembers its custom waveform.

1 Like

Yes, on an earlier firmware I donā€™t think it was working, but I checked again recently, and my fave patches using the waves I have loaded in myself, retain their waves, even when you have a completely different bank of 16 waves loaded in. Thatā€™s VERY cool, in my book.

5 Likes

Very cool editor, thanks for linking this one!

To wrap up there are 3 really neat programmes for editing/importing/exporting waves to the super6:

1. Creating and editing wavetables (including *.wav file import/export)
  1. Creating and editing standard as well as custom wav-files (*.wav file import!)
  • http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/editor.html
    (here you can change the sample size to 4096 - thatā€™s cool!, you can also import your own wav-files, for example any exported wave-table wav-file from synthtech above)
  1. Finally use Audacity to export your *.wav file in the correct format for for S6
    (! length 4096 samples, format: 16-bit PCM, export as audio: file-extension *.ws6, ā€œother uncompressed fileā€, ā€œsigned 16-bit PCMā€)

yep, thatā€™s it

6 Likes