Ring Modulation

Does anyone know if I can do ring modulation with the Super 6?
Cheers!
Jehudi

No RM on the S6 but can get some similar tones with AM.

Do you have a “how to”,
to what you mean with AM? (I think you mean amplitude modulation?)
Best wishes,
Jehudi

1 Like

Most synth texts should have a section on RM and AM, I think it’s 4 quadrant vs. 2 quadrant multipliers, or something?

As far as I remember, RM gives you ONLY the sum and difference sideband frequencies, whereas AM gives you the sum and difference AND the original frequencies together. If you have a good notch filter you can sometimes attenuate the original frequencies to get closer to true RM sounds.

Maybe one day they’ll have a switch that lets you choose the Crossmod FM to become RM, that would be cool.

1 Like

Apply LFO1 to the VCA with a fast audio rate LFO Speed , apply modulation (pedal is nice) and you will be close to that type of ring mod sound. But only somewhat close

1 Like

This is true, but only if both the carrier and the modulator are sine waves. If one or both are other waveforms it gets “a little” more complicated, because than you get modulation effects with all the overtones too (what quickly results in some kind of noisy sound without an audible pitch).
Next problem with ring mod sounds is: the audible pitch does not allway transpose correctly with the carrier frequency.

The “sine wave scenario” is easy to simulate by using two slightly detuned sine wave oszillators. The only problem here ist, that on the Super6 you only can detune DDS2, but the resulting audible pitch is exactly in the middle between both oszillators (the missing carrier)… so you have the same detuning problem like if you use CROSS MOD.

So at the end if it’s not your goal to make “typical ring mod noisy sounds” but to make music, than it’s a much better idea to prepare a ring modulated waveform and to use this instead… because this transposes correctly.

It’s true for all wave shapes, and their overtones. Sorry if I didn’t make this abundantly clear.

But each overtone of the carrier modulates with each overtone of the modulator and the modulation products of overtones are no longer in the geometrical row of the overtones of modulation products.
And neither the carrier nor the modulator nor their overtones themselves are present in the modulation product, so your suggestion with the notch filter (or my suggestion with the detuned oszillaotrs) would be only practicable to simulate ring modulated sine waves.

You should take off these glasses and calm down, it’s only a technical discussion, nothing about cornfalkes or your balls!

And not every reply to your posts is to blame you … if you are willing to accept some additions.

To come back to the original question: A ring modulator is not easily to substitute with AM, because the absence of the carrier and the carrier overtones changes the audible sound of the modulation result drastically.
In some situations (e.g. audio rate modulator) FM with a dedicated mod depth comes closer, because this surpesses the carrier too (but makes more side band modulations products, to be precise).
With LFO(HF) FM (first slider in the DDS MODULATIOR section) at around 60% or CROSS MOD at around 20% one comes quit near to that point.

So, if one sees really an urge for RM, he should open a feature request with UDO support.
I don’t see it.

I found the solution with cross mod (to have the same pitch as other patches).
By slowly tweaking the DDS 2 together with the CROSS MOD. You can find the spot where they are on your pitch.
If it comes to RING MOD, it is indeed my plan to make music, not noise :slightly_smiling_face:

Peace & Love brother. You and MoogelPackung both have the same intention. Helping me out in the world of ring modulation, and more. :slightly_smiling_face:

You have foreseen the future, it is now realised in the Super Gemini…