Super 6 editor

I don’t know. Are they doing their own editor?

If this is the case, sorry to say but I would not understand as they have been aware of my work and design since the beginning. I informed them about the progress and gave them screenshots of my work ahead of any publication in this forum.
Would not be very fair play from them… and, if it is the case, I hope they will not steal my design.
From another angle, seeing the leadtime of providing a full featured OS 1.0, I would not understand why they would spend time on developing an editor knowing that someone else is doing it.
If this is the case, they should have better allocated their resources in getting the Super 6 right than developing something that they know is coming and that they could have supported.
That would explain why they are not answering my questions, making me loose a lot of time in guessing and analyzing hundreds of patches to understand some basic info (but my friend and I have built different small programs supporting us with that so we start to be equipped).

But again, I’m not aware this has been confirmed by UDO.

No, I was referring to the state of their firmware, 0.30 etc.

Ha OK!
Well, I will also be depending on that. The panel can only implement according to their current state of things and I will of course follow carefully.
I’m using some temporary tricks to compensate from lack of basic stuff.
For example, I’m using patch A1-P1 as storage when you make some changes on a patch (like DDS1 or LFO1 alt waves changes) or when loading a patch from your computer or another bank.
This will be done as long as it is not possible to directly write in the edit buffer with a sysex command.

Developing a synth is much more complex than making an editor so the guys at UDO have my deep respect and people should be patient and understand that they are a small team even if we would all
like to see things going faster.

1 Like

@goodweather thanks for all your work on this. My advice—don’t promise free updates forever. There may come a point where it’s a lot of work and you’ll want something for your time.

That said, I’ll definitely be ordering.

@JES Thx for your kind words!
Well, I can tell you that with the time spent on this editor/librarian I will never get paid at the level of my daily work salary.
That being said, I think that updates on bought software should always be free. People trusted you when buying your product earlier than others and they should be rewarded for that.
This doesn’t mean that any new enhancement request will be done (it has to be useful for all) and it doesn’t mean either that the price of the editor will not increase a bit later on :wink:
On top of that, bug corrections should always be done and it is obvious you should not charge the users for that.

7 Likes

@HermetechMastering Copy wave implemented with display of waves on both source and destination :wink:

The only temporary issue (need to decide on a solution) is that when you have for example a program with a sine wave in DDS1 and that you copy to it a non standard wave from another patch, the waveform indicated inside the s6 patch file is still the one of the sine wave.
I don’t know how UDO is doing to indicate that the DDS1 (LFO1) wave is neither one of the standard wave neither one of the 32 alternative waves. I’m sure they do that but don’t know how at this stage.

The display of fixed and user modulations is also OK.
Now working on reading/writing additional info related to the patches (author, category, description, step by step usage.

11 Likes

FANTASTIC!!! Can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

Very excited for this. Thanks so much for your work. Love this synth so much, and having something to visualize and wrap my head around a lot of the patches is going to be a real game changer for me personally.

4 Likes

+1 - very excited for this, and will very happily pay for v1.0 when ready. Beyond automation and patch management, this will be such a powerful learning tool to understand how all the different factory patches’ parameters are configured. Thank you for putting all this work into it!!

6 Likes

You are a godsend, thank you for taking the time to work on this for we/us

1 Like

Main part of the manual written. One small option to be coded.
Remains the plugins in the different DAWs and the tests on MacOS
Soon available :wink:

14 Likes

My Super 6 Desktop comes in tomorrow and I was sad to see there hasn’t been an editor made yet. So thrilled and excited to find this forum and this thread. Thank you so much for working on this for the community!

2 Likes

just got my super 6, can’t wait to buy your editor! where to go to get it?

1 Like

I’ll announce it here, on the UDO Super 6 FB group, on Gearspace, Audiofanzine and my own web site / FB group “Sunny Synths”.

Plugin versions is now documented (with discovery of an issue to restore DAW presets - not a showstopper, will try to understand later).
Still finding a few things to correct / adapt (always the case when you review the panel to write the manual).
Remains the Mac and Logic versions to be tested.
Not sure I will be able to finish this before my vacations abroad. If not, target is mid August.

5 Likes

Hello all, the editor is now ready in a v1.0.
More info at https://www.sunnysynths.com/udo-super-6
Features, pictures, manual, warning.
A video presenting the editor and librarian is in the making
Thx to all for your patience!

19 Likes

You’re the best!!! This is so well done and highly appreciated! I got so excited my wife came in from the other room to check what all the fuss was about!

1 Like

So lovely and energizing to read!
Thx to you and greetings to Miss Spyes :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! Will be buying it today after work!

1 Like

Hi Goodweather. I noticed in your write up:

"Important remark:

Due to status of the Super 6 firmware and its Midi implementation (v0.52) the editor will not fully work as it would in an ideal world.
For example, there is no direct access via sysex messages to the Edit buffer which is preventing some direct audible feedback when changing waveforms. To solve this, the A1-P1 program is used as “buffer” for some operations. Another example is that there is no direct access to the individual modulation slots through CC/NRPN messages which is preventing automation of several modulation amounts at once.

At this stage there is also no Save program function from the panel due to the lack of documentation and detailed information on the individual parameters way of working towards the patch file but this is worked on and is the top priority for the next version."

I wonder - can these issues be corrected with improved firmware and is UDO cooperative with you in this regard?

I’m not involved in the FW development and I stand as you as an “humble user” :wink:
Now, I’m pretty sure George knows this and has those 2 points on his to-do list.
When you are making a product, soft or hard, you know well its strengths and weaknesses and also you want your product to be complete.
And as he is a “bloody engineer” as myself, we have sometimes the tendency to be too perfect :wink:
I’m pretty sure this is the reason why we are in 0.52 and not in 1.1 for example.

So, yes those things can be corrected by firmware but I cannot tell you when they will be delivered.
I think it is up to the user community to use social medias, emails to UDO… to push and requests some specific enhancements. A good company will listen to those but of course never promise anything which is normal as anything can happen…

I know the UDO team is appreciating my work but as I explained they are a small team and it is sometimes difficult for them to find the time to support my work.

1 Like