UDO Super 6 start / stop sequencer from external equipment, tell me how to set it up

Thank you very much for the wonderful synth UDO Super 6
I have a question:
Please tell me - how to make the super 6 sequencer start from an external signal? I can’t understand how. Clock sync it receives from the electron, I press shift + external sync + press the button 1,2 and 3, but the sequencer does not start itself from the external clock.
BRM sync works, but start stop does no

Hooray! Solution found. Who uses elektrons synth as a master clock, you need to set trk ch in his port settings in output ch, then start stop works fine and keeps the desired clock.

1 Like

There are two subtly different way the s6 can respond to start stop messages

I’m lazily pasting the manual addendum here but this is the bit you want!

External MIDI Clock Settings
Once you press SHIFT and SYNC you will be able to define how the Super 6 is going to respond to an external MIDI clock source

• PATCH SELECT BUTTON 1: With this option enabled (LED solidly lit), MIDI clock signals will be sent.

• PATCH SELECT BUTTON 2: With this option enabled (LED solidly lit), MIDI clock signals will be received. On top of that, the Super 6 will respond to MIDI Start and MIDI Stop messages.

• PATCH SELECT BUTTON 3: (arpeggiator note output not relevant to this thread)

• PATCH SELECT BUTTON 4: With this option enabled (LED solidly lit), the HOLD button “arms” the sequencer while the latter will wait for a MIDI Start message to start playback. In this mode, the sequencer will stop playback when a MIDI Stop message is received, even if the external MIDI clock is still running.

When this option is disabled (LED flashing), the HOLD button starts and stops the sequencer asynchronously. A MIDI Start message will “snap” the sequence back into the correct timing, but a MIDI Stop message will be ignored if the external MIDI clock is still running.

In both modes transport control is achieved by using Note On/Off messages. This not only allows you to easily determine when a sequence should start and stop, but also to transpose a sequence.
Please note that you can either activate option 1 or option 2. Once you enable one of these options, the other one will be automatically disabled.

Keep in mind that when you enable MIDI clock receive, the arpeggiator or sequencer won’t respond for as long as no MIDI clock signal is being received.

1 Like

This just took me like 45 minutes to figure out so in case it helps anyone else: if you want option 4 where external midi start/stop will play and stop your sequence you have to toggle the SEQ RECORD button to the transpose mode where no lights are lit up, otherwise it won’t work. Then you have to enable both ON and HOLD in order for it to enter this “arm” mode.

The manual doesn’t give any of these details either, in fact the latest manual doesn’t even mention that option 4 exists at all.

I think that was probably added to the firmware after that version of the manual, wh knows.

@DDS please can you have a look at this? Is this part of the separate addendum thanks

@udo-audio Appreciate that you are looking at it!

I also filed this related request which I think should be considered a bug in how the external midi control works.

Generally the sequencer has 2 modes, the transpose mode and the mode where you can play additional notes over the running sequence. I find the second one to be much more useful.

But when a sequence has been started by external midi message, there is no way to have it running in the mode where you can play additional notes on top of the sequence. It would be great if this could be enabled.