Recording the sequencers MIDI information?

Hi guys,

Is there a way to record the sequencer’s MIDI note information into my DAW (Ableton Live)? I can record MIDI information normally using the S6’s built-in keyboard and just playing but when I try to record the sequencer I don’t get any MIDI information recorded into the DAW.

Any tips? Is this a future firmware update?

5 Likes

Just searched the forum for the same question - thank you for asking, and sorry moderators if I am missing something, but also wondering if it is possible to receive / record the midi output from the Super 6 sequencer in my DAW (Ableton 11 / OSX)?

Hi there, when I have LOCAL set to off so I can use the S6 as my midi keyboard that also controls the S6 itself. I can’t seem to use any of the buttons on the panel above the keyboard. It’s like they are disabled when LOCAL is off. When I turn LOCAL back on - all the buttons work again. I say this because I tested your suggestion above to get the Arpeggiator sending midi but the ARP will not start because it can’t be selected due to the buttons being disabled.

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Correction! It only works when the midi is being passed back to the S6 via its midi channel (5) …when I have another instrument being triggered via my USB host it is sending data on a different channel - therefor the S6’s buttons and ARP are not enabled.
This is strange. I would have thought that the buttons would still be usable - therefor being able to send ARP and midi data on to other gear.

Does this make sense? Am I still missing something?
Thanks

Hey @focalsounds, so overall are you trying to have the S6 ARP control other synths via midi? Are you connected with USB or midi?

1 Like

Hi JimmyM - thanks for the response. Yes to your first question.
It is kind of running through both Midi & USB for my setup has a few things going on that I can explain if necessary, but to me - this wouldn’t effect the buttons becoming disabled when midi is not being sent back to the S6. Would it?

Also, using ARP once on S6’s channel and then moving the midi focus to another channel - then returning back to S6. The ARP triggers one sharp not repeat and then stops and doesn’t work from that point on. Very strange behaviour.

Hope that makes sense?

I know that whenever I have both midi and USB plugged in at the same time things get pretty buggy.

Not sure if this would help, but once you capture the ARP midi notes you like, can you send those back out through a different midi channel to the desired synth?

Yeah, I’ve heard this can be the case.

I’m actually not using the USB Midi on S6.
The USB aspect of the setup is an external USB Host - 1010Music BlackBox. The S6 is acting as a midi keyboard for the BB and the BB is passing the midi data onto other devices - including back to the S6.

But - yeah, I can’t get the S6 to send the midi data of the ARP/SEQ/HOLD etc… which id really like to do.

Also, its acting buggy with this no button working and ARP strangely triggering once and cutting out.

@udo-audio Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

I see - assuming that this is only the case when Local is off?

This thread could be relevant in terms of new functionality coming in the next release: LOCAL OFF disabling Octave Selector annoyance

Correct. Only when LOCAL is off.
Though it seems buggy as I have had to turn the S6 off and on again after this Local on/off ARP thing.

Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a read.